Solve Columb's Law Problem: q1 for q2=4.4nC, Dist 10cm and 20cm

• Thread starter jfusion
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Law
In summary, the charge q2 in Figure 1 is in static equilibrium with a distance of 10cm between q2 and q and a distance of 20cm between q1 and q2. Using the equation F=k*q1*q2/(2d)^2 + k*q*q2/d^2 = 0, the value of q1 is calculated to be 1.7x10^-8 C, which was not accepted by the system. After rounding and considering the correct sign of the charge, the final accepted answer is 16nC.
jfusion

Homework Statement

Charge q2 in the figure(Figure 1) is in static equilibrium. Assume that q = 4.4nC .

Figure:http://session.masteringphysics.com/myct/itemView?assignmentProblemID=31833513&offset=prev

what is q1 ( distance between q2 and q is 10com and distance between q1 and q2 is 20cm)

Homework Equations

F=k*q1*q2/(2d)^2 + k*q*q2/d^2 = 0

I then isolate for q1

The Attempt at a Solution

My answer is 1.7x10^-8 C which is wrong, I have converted all givens to Standard units

Physics news on Phys.org
We don't have access to the figure since we can't log into the publisher's site.

Thanks for pointing that out, here's the image

Attachments

• Capture.PNG
    Capture.PNG
    2.1 KB · Views: 1,880
Maybe it's just a matter of rounding or sig figs.

i don't believe so, do you come to the same conclusion?

Yes, but when I round to two sig figs, I get a slightly different answer. Also, it could be that you didn't specify the correct sign of the charge.

what do get as your final answer? and the charge would be + correct?

it accepted 16nC thanks for the help

What is Coulomb's Law?

Coulomb's Law is a fundamental law of physics that describes the electrostatic interaction between two charged particles. It states that the force between two charged particles is directly proportional to the product of their charges and inversely proportional to the square of the distance between them.

How do you calculate the force using Coulomb's Law?

Coulomb's Law can be represented mathematically as F = k(q1q2)/r^2, where F is the force, k is the Coulomb constant (9x10^9 Nm^2/C^2), q1 and q2 are the charges of the particles, and r is the distance between them.

What is the value of q1 in the given problem?

The value of q1 is 4.4 nC (nanocoulombs), as stated in the problem.

How do you calculate the distance between the two charged particles?

The distance between two charged particles can be calculated using the Pythagorean theorem. In this problem, the distance is given as 10 cm and 20 cm, respectively, for the two different scenarios.

What is the unit of measurement for the force calculated using Coulomb's Law?

The unit of measurement for the force calculated using Coulomb's Law is Newtons (N), which is the standard unit for force in the International System of Units (SI).