Calculate the Force between Charges

Coulomb's constant, q1 and q2 are the charges, and d is the distance between the charges.In summary, the problem is to find the magnitude of the force between two charges, given their coordinates and values. Using the Coulomb's law, the magnitude can be calculated as the product of the Coulomb's constant and the charges, divided by the distance between them squared.
wizard.ubit

Homework Statement

Find the magnitude of the force b/w charges

(1,2,3) (5,-2,4)

() ()
5 micro Columb 6 micro columb
charge 1 charge 2

The Attempt at a Solution

Vector r = (5-1)i + (-2-2)j + (4-3)k
Vector r = 4i -4j + k

Magnitude of Vector r = Square root (4^2 + (-4)^2 + 1^2)

Magnitude of Vector r = square root (33) or 5.744

a/c to columbs law

F= (9x10^9) (5x10^-6 ) (6x10^ -6 ) (4i-4j+k)
5.744 ^3 (cube b/c unit vector )

F= 0.27 { what should i do of ( 4i-4j+k )
5.744^3

what should i do please i hve got paper on WeDnesday Help me

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi wizard.ubit, welcome to PF.
In the problem only magnitude is required.
So F = k*q1*q2/d^2

Dear student,

Thank you for your question. To calculate the force between charges, we can use Coulomb's Law, which states that the force between two point charges is directly proportional to the product of the charges and inversely proportional to the square of the distance between them.

In this case, we have two charges, one with a magnitude of 5 micro Columb and the other with a magnitude of 6 micro Columb. The distance between them can be calculated using the vector r that you have already found. However, we need to convert the magnitude of r from meters to centimeters in order to match the units of the charges (micro Columb is 10^-6 coulomb).

So, the magnitude of r is 5.744 x 10^-2 cm. Plugging this into Coulomb's Law, we get:

F = (9 x 10^9) * (5 x 10^-6) * (6 x 10^-6) * (5.744 x 10^-2)^-2

F = 0.27 N

The unit vector (4i - 4j + k) indicates the direction of the force. In this case, it is a unit vector pointing from the first charge to the second charge. We can use this information to determine the direction of the force.

I hope this helps. Good luck on your paper!

1. What is the formula for calculating the force between charges?

The formula for calculating the force between charges is F = k * (q1 * q2) / r2, where F is the force, k is the Coulomb's constant, q1 and q2 are the magnitudes of the charges, and r is the distance between the charges.

2. What is the unit of measurement for force between charges?

The unit of measurement for force between charges is Newtons (N). This is the same unit used for measuring other types of forces.

3. How does the distance between charges affect the force?

The force between charges is inversely proportional to the square of the distance between them. This means that as the distance increases, the force decreases and vice versa.

4. Can the force between charges be negative?

Yes, the force between charges can be negative. This indicates an attractive force between opposite charges. A positive force indicates a repulsive force between like charges.

5. How is the Coulomb's constant related to the force between charges?

The Coulomb's constant (k) is a proportionality constant that is used in the formula for calculating the force between charges. It is a fundamental constant in electrostatics and its value is approximately 9 x 109 Nm2/C2.