Column analogy (Hardy Cross) - Carry Over Factor and stiffness

In summary, when using the column analogy method to determine the carry over factor and stiffness at end A for a propped cantilever, a point load of rotation is applied at end A instead of a U.D.L. on the analogous column to more accurately represent the behavior of the cantilever beam and obtain more accurate results.
kirakun
Hi all,
1. Homework Statement

Book example:
Determine using the column analogy method, the carry over factor from A to B and the stiffness at A for a propped cantilever.
(Propped end is defined as A, and fixed end is defined as B)

2. Relevant principles
1. Moment at any point
[tex] M = M_{s} - M_{i} [/tex]
where Ms = Moment in basic determinate structure and Mi = End moment

From analogous column stress derivations;

[tex] M_{i} = \frac{\text{P}}{\text{A}} + \frac{{M_{y}}}{{I_{yy}}}x + \frac{{M_{x}}}{{I_{xx}}}y [/tex]

where : 1st term represents the axial stress in column,
2nd term bending stress about y-axis
3rd term bending stress about x-axis

Note: x-axis passes through the centroid and is parallel to the span L of the beam. y-axis is perpendicular to x-axis.

The Attempt at a Solution

[/B]
1. Determine the M/EI diagram for the basic determinate structure. The basic structure is arbitrarily chosen as a cantilever with a moment MA at end A.

2. The M/EI diagram represents the load on the analogous column.

3. Construct an analogous column of width (1/EI ) and length = span of beam.

4. Ms is obtained from the moment diagram of basic structure.

5. Determine the eccentricity of the center of area of M/EI diagram with respect to the centroid of the analogous column. For a beam eccentricity is about the y-axis only. From this eccentricity calculate My and hence Mi.

6. Use 1st equation to compute end moment...

4. My problem

I cannot actually figure the load distribution on the analogous column. To me the moment diagram for the cantilever is a constant moment throughout. So the load on the column should be a U.D.L .

However the book puts a point load of rotation at A, [tex] \theta _{a} [/tex] at end A and performs the computations. Can anyone explain this part to me? I'm clueless as to why this was done.

Thank you! And early Happy new year!

Likes berkeman
Physics news on Phys.org

Hello! I can help explain the reasoning behind using a point load of rotation at end A instead of a U.D.L. on the analogous column.

Firstly, let's consider the basic determinate structure (the cantilever beam) and its moment diagram. As you correctly stated, the moment diagram for a cantilever beam is a constant moment throughout. However, this is only true for the internal forces within the beam itself. The external forces acting on the beam, such as the support at end B, will create a different moment diagram on the beam as a whole.

Now, let's think about the analogous column. We are trying to use this column to represent the behavior of the cantilever beam, which means it should have a similar moment diagram. If we were to apply a U.D.L. on the column, we would essentially be applying a distributed load throughout the entire length of the column. This would not accurately represent the behavior of the cantilever beam, as the external forces acting on the beam are not distributed evenly throughout its length.

Instead, by applying a point load at end A, we are simulating the rotation at that point caused by the external forces acting on the beam. This allows us to more accurately represent the behavior of the cantilever beam and obtain more accurate results for the carry over factor and stiffness at end A.

I hope this helps clarify the reasoning behind using a point load of rotation at end A. Happy new year to you as well!

1. What is the Hardy Cross method for column analogy?

The Hardy Cross method is a graphical method used to analyze indeterminate structures by analogy with a simpler, determinate structure. It involves assuming a fixed stiffness for each member of the structure and calculating the forces and displacements using equilibrium equations and compatibility equations.

2. What is the carry-over factor in column analogy?

The carry-over factor is a correction factor used in the Hardy Cross method to account for the redistribution of forces in a structure due to the deformation of its members. It is usually denoted by the symbol "C" and is typically less than 1.

3. How is the carry-over factor calculated in column analogy?

The carry-over factor can be calculated by dividing the actual stiffness of a member by the assumed stiffness. This ratio is then multiplied by the original force or moment in the member to obtain the corrected force or moment.

4. What is the significance of stiffness in column analogy?

Stiffness is a measure of the resistance of a structure to deformation. In column analogy, it is an important parameter as it affects the distribution of forces and displacements in a structure. An incorrect assumption of stiffness can lead to inaccurate results in the analysis.

5. How is the stiffness of a member determined in column analogy?

The stiffness of a member can be determined by considering its material properties, cross-sectional area, and length. It is typically calculated using the modulus of elasticity of the material and the moment of inertia of the cross-section of the member.