Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Column space and null space

1. May 20, 2014 #1
    Why it is important to know about Column space and Null spaces in Linear Algebra?

2. jcsd
  3. May 20, 2014 #2
    If ##T: X\to Y## is a linear map between vector spaces, then there are a bunch of different reasons to care about the kernel ##\text{ker}T = \{x\in X:\enspace Tx=0\} \subseteq X## and range ##\text{ran}T = \{Tx: \enspace x \in X\} \subseteq Y##. Why/whether we care about those depends on why we care about the map ##T##.

In the special case where ##X## and ##Y## are Euclidean and ##T## is represented by a matrix ##A##, the kernel of ##T## is exactly the null space of ##A##, while the range of ##T## is exactly the column space of ##A##

4. May 20, 2014 #3
    Thank you. But I have not done linear mappings yet. I am reading Linear Algebra and its applications by Gilbert strang, 4th edition. while I am reading subspaces (chapter 2) I was wondering what is the use of such subspaces. If you can explain me intuitively without linear mapping it would be very helpful.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook