Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Columns of Matrix Form a Basis?

1. Jan 23, 2012 #1
    Hi everyone,

This not a homework question. I'm reviewing some linear algebra and I found this on a worksheet. I just need a hint on how to approach this problem.

Let β=[itex]\{ v_1,v_2,...,v_n\}[/itex] be a basis for [itex]R^n [/itex]. Let M be the matrix whose columns are the basis vectors in β. Do the columns of [itex] M^2 [/itex] form a basis?

I've played around with some examples and it seems to be true. I know that M has full rank and hence invertible, therefore, [itex] M^2 [/itex] is also invertible and has full rank. But this only means the columns of [itex] M^2 [/itex] spans the vector space. How do I show the columns are also linearly independent?

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 24, 2012 #2
    If the columns are linearly dependent, then it doesn't have full rank. My definition of rank is the dimension of the space spanned by the columns.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook