1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Columns selection

1. Aug 17, 2009 #1
    Hi all,

I need some help.

Select the lightest wide flange section that can be used as a steel column 7m long tosupport an axial load of 450kN with a factor of safety of 3. Use 200MPa as the limitof elasticity, 200GPa as the modulus of elasticity and assume that the column issimply supported.

I have a printout with my assignment of universal columns dimensions and properties. I dont reall yknow what i'm supposed to be working out here.

Can any one help?

Thanks

Emma

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 18, 2009 #2

nvn

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Hi, Emzielou83. There is a template you must use when you post a question. You must list relevant equations yourself, and you must show your work. Then someone might check your math. Is this a test question? Also, engineering coursework questions go https://www.physicsforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=158") states that there should always be a space between a numeric value and its following unit symbol. E.g., 200 MPa, not 200MPa. You can see this by looking in any text book.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 24, 2017
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook