1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Colums law problem

1. May 3, 2007 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Take three charged objects and place them on the x-axis. The first charge is + 11 microC, and is placed at +0.85 m. The second charge is -4.6 microC, and is placed at -0.22 m. The third charge is placed at the origin. If the net force on the third charge has a magnitude of 6.0(10-4) N, what is the magnitude of the charge?

2. Relevant equations

F=k (q1q2)/r^2

3. The attempt at a solution

i can find each charge magnitude in respect to the 3rd charge with the equation, but don't no where to go from there.
    Thanks

2. jcsd
  3. May 3, 2007 #2

Doc Al

Staff: Mentor

Show exactly what you did. Hint: Call the unknown charge Q. Use Coulomb's law to solve for the force exerted on that charge by each of the other two charges.

4. May 3, 2007 #3
    ok i got my answer but im not sure if its right.
    Basicly i added 2 of coulombs equations 2gether.
    6E-4= K(4.6xq2)/(0.22^2)+ K(11xq2)/(0.85^2)
    after some algebra
    6E-4=8.5E11q2+1.37E11q2
    Factor out q2
    q2= 6E-4/9.87E11
    i got q2 to be around 6E-16 Micro C which = 6E-10 C
    the answer is suppose to be "6.1E-10C". It might rounding error or i might be wayyyy off.
    Can someone please check this?
    Thanks

5. May 3, 2007 #4

Doc Al

The charges are in microC, so they should be 4.6E-6 & 11E-6 C in this equation. That should explain why your answer is so far off.

6. May 3, 2007 #5
    yes, but is my train of thought even close to what your suppose to do?

7. May 3, 2007 #6

Doc Al

Your method is perfectly correct. Fix those charge values and you should get the right answer.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?