1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Combination Circuits

1. Mar 16, 2007 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

2. Relevant equations
    Could someone please double check my work, i am not quite sure if that is correct. thank you very much!

3. The attempt at a solution
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
  2. jcsd
  3. Mar 16, 2007 #2

Staff: Mentor

The figure and your numbers are not very clear in their meaning. Are the 4 resistors in the figure supposed to be numbered? And the short across the bottom resistor should not be there, correct? And is the one voltage source at the bottom supposed to be Vt, and the other voltages the voltage drops across the resistors?

What are givens, and what are you supposed to solve for?
  4. Mar 16, 2007 #3

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I am sorry, but we need a better circuit diagram. It is not clear where the battery is connected. Also you components are not labeled.
  5. Mar 16, 2007 #4
    the diagram given looks just like that. The voltage given is 120V and the resistance of each is 3: the battery is at the bottom of the diagram...sorry if it is confusing, that is exactly the way it is given.
  6. Mar 16, 2007 #5
    I am assuming that R1 is the bottom resistor, R2 is the right resistor, R3 is the top resistor, and R4 is the left resistor: so wouldnt that make R1 and R3 in parallel and R2 and R4 in parallel?
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?