Combination Gates: Understanding NAND & NOR in Physics

• Thread starter Richie Smash
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Combination
In summary, the conversation discusses the topic of combinational logic and the use of logic gates in performing various functions. The speakers share their confusion about the diagrams and truth tables provided in the textbook, particularly in understanding how the inputs and outputs of the gates work together. One speaker suggests thinking of the gates as functions and explains how the truth tables for the OR gate in the diagram can be understood. Another speaker suggests talking through the diagrams to better understand the concept.
Richie Smash
Hello, I'm currently studying physics at the CSEC level in the caribbean, or what would be equivalent to the GCSE level in England I believe, and I've arrived at Logic Gates.

I've gone through the various gates they ask for at this level such as: AND, OR, NAND, NOT and NOR gates.

I believe I understand each of these gates' specific functions, but then the next topic is about combination gates.

My textbook states, ''The use of several or more types of gates together to perform given functions is known as combinational logic.''

They then say NAND and NOR gates are most commonly used in making these combinational gates, and proceed to show diagrams of various NAND and NOR gates connected together, and their respective truth tables, but these diagrams are really confusing me. I don't seem to have a grasp on this topic.
http://uploads.im/MuU7e.jpg
http://uploads.im/YQpDU.jpg

Here are the two images, (I know off site sources are discouraged but I don't know how to attach an image here)

As you can see from these, they have various NAND and NOR together to produce say NOT, AND and OR gates, I just don't see how the truth tables add up, I just don't know what's going on here, does anyone know in detail about this subject?

Engineering news on Phys.org
The diagrams would help. Use the UPLOAD button to the right of POST REPLY and PREVIEW.

Likes Richie Smash
Maybe it will help to think of the logic gates like functions:

NAND(x,y) = IF X AND Y THEN 0 ELSE 1
NOT(x) = NAND(x,x)
AND(x,y) = NOT(NAND(x,y))
OR(x,y) = NAND(NOT(x),NOT(y))
etc, etc,

Likes Richie Smash and anorlunda
Richie Smash said:
As you can see from these, they have various NAND and NOR together to produce say NOT, AND and OR gates, I just don't see how the truth tables add up, I just don't know what's going on here, does anyone know in detail about this subject?

Take a look at the OR gate in the 2nd diagram. This OR gate is actually composed of 3 NAND gates. If you start at the 1st row on the truth table, you'll see that the A and B inputs are 0, so the leftmost NAND gates output 1's. These 1's are then input into the third NAND gate, which outputs a 0.

For the next row, A is 0, so the top gate outputs a 1, and B is 1, so the bottom gate outputs a zero. C is the output of the top gate and is 1 and D is the output of the bottom gate and is 0. Thus the last NAND gate outputs a 1.

The next two rows follow the same principle. Remember that A and B are the inputs to the OR gate. C and D are not. Their values in the truth table depend on A and B.

Does that make sense?

Likes Delta2
Perhaps what confuses you is how the output of a gate serves as an input for another gate. The final result that is shown in the truth table, is not these intermediate outputs/inputs but the final output of the final gate.

Likes Richie Smash
Delta² said:
Perhaps what confuses you is how the output of a gate serves as an input for another gate. The final result that is shown in the truth table, is not these intermediate outputs/inputs but the final output of the final gate.

Unless I'm mistaken, those intermediate connections appear to be in the truth tables linked by the OP.

Drakkith said:
Unless I'm mistaken, those intermediate connections appear to be in the truth tables linked by the OP.

Ah you are absolutely right, I myself was looking only at the final column...

Yes. Just grunt through them one at a time working left to right.

At first it's quite foreign to our brain. As with any new language it's "Practice, Practice, Practice".
It helps me to talk through them. Hearing is wired into our brain via a different pathway than reading and it helps to get more of the 'little gray cells' involved.

old jim

Likes Richie Smash and sophiecentaur
jim hardy said:
Yes. Just grunt through them one at a time working left to right.

At first it's quite foreign to our brain. As with any new language it's "Practice, Practice, Practice".
It helps me to talk through them. Hearing is wired into our brain via a different pathway than reading and it helps to get more of the 'little gray cells' involved.

old jim
Let's hear it for hearing! I often struggle to remember a name or equation but, once I hear someone else actually say it, it goes in and stays there (or at least, stays for as long as an ageing brain can retain anything, post 2101). I'm also very aware of the pathways you refer to during the 'recall' process.

Likes jim hardy
DavidSnider said:
Maybe it will help to think of the logic gates like functions:

NAND(x,y) = IF X AND Y THEN 0 ELSE 1
NOT(x) = NAND(x,x)
AND(x,y) = NOT(NAND(x,y))
OR(x,y) = NAND(NOT(x),NOT(y))
etc, etc,

Drakkith said:
Take a look at the OR gate in the 2nd diagram. This OR gate is actually composed of 3 NAND gates. If you start at the 1st row on the truth table, you'll see that the A and B inputs are 0, so the leftmost NAND gates output 1's. These 1's are then input into the third NAND gate, which outputs a 0.

For the next row, A is 0, so the top gate outputs a 1, and B is 1, so the bottom gate outputs a zero. C is the output of the top gate and is 1 and D is the output of the bottom gate and is 0. Thus the last NAND gate outputs a 1.

The next two rows follow the same principle. Remember that A and B are the inputs to the OR gate. C and D are not. Their values in the truth table depend on A and B.

Does that make sense?

Delta² said:

Hi to all of you, Next time I will upload the pictures, I found the button but It seems to be giving me an error message.

To start things off,I appreciate that method you have there David Snider, as functions, but I'm still a bit fuzzy about that way.

To Drakkith, your explanation actually did clear things up for me. When looking at that second OR gate which consists of 3 NAND gates, I see how the inputs for each gate will give you the same output for an OR gate, as you say, A and B are 0's so they will input as two 1's on the left side, and when going through the final NAND gate the two 1's will now be a 0 again. Just like an OR gate two 0's make another 0, I think I have a better understanding now that really did make sense.

To Delta, I think that is exactly what was confusing me, still is slightly but Drakkith's explanation did offer me some insight. The NOT gate consisting of 1 NAND gate on the second link still is a bit confusing however.

Thanks to all of your for replying.

Likes Delta2
Richie Smash said:
The NOT gate consisting of 1 NAND gate on the second link still is a bit confusing however.

Work out the truth table for yourself!

donpacino said:
Work out the truth table for yourself!

Ah, I found out why it was confusing, because at first I thought it just said A, and there was no number on the diagram. But the answer lies within the truth table, it simply means if A is 0 output will be 1 etc.
Another thing that confused me is that there seemed to be a junction joining those two wires, I'm quite a novice here and currently self taught with the help of friends.

But i now understand that it means once there is a junction joining the two, the output will either be two 1's or two 0's never a 1 and a 0 or vice versa.

Richie Smash said:
Another thing that confused me is that there seemed to be a junction joining those two wires, I'm quite a novice here and currently self taught with the help of friends.

That's fine. These gates are the building blocks for all things digital. Learn to love them. Once you get good at learning this kind of stuff it will get easier!

1. What is a combination gate?

A combination gate is a logical circuit that combines two or more input signals to produce a single output signal based on a specific logic function. They are commonly used in digital electronics and can be made up of different types of basic gates, such as NAND and NOR gates.

2. What is a NAND gate?

A NAND gate is a type of logic gate that produces an output signal only when all of its input signals are low. It is equivalent to an AND gate followed by a NOT gate, hence the name "NAND" gate.

3. What is a NOR gate?

A NOR gate is a type of logic gate that produces an output signal only when all of its input signals are low. It is equivalent to an OR gate followed by a NOT gate, hence the name "NOR" gate.

4. What are the applications of combination gates?

Combination gates have many applications in digital electronics, such as in microprocessors, calculators, and computers. They are used to perform logic operations, such as AND, OR, NAND, NOR, and NOT, which are the building blocks of digital circuits.

5. How do NAND and NOR gates differ from each other?

NAND and NOR gates are different in terms of their logic functions. While a NAND gate produces an output signal only when all of its inputs are low, a NOR gate produces an output signal only when all of its inputs are high. Additionally, the internal circuitry of NAND and NOR gates is different, but they can both be used to implement any logic function.