1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Combination of electric and magnetic fields

1. Feb 28, 2005 #1
    Hey, i have this question to solve..
    An electron has a velocity of 1.62×104 m/s (in the positive x direction) and an acceleration of 2.25×1012 m/s2 (in the positive z direction) in uniform electric and magnetic feilds. If the electric field has a magnitude of 19.1 N/C (in the positive z direction), what is the y component of the magnetic field in the region?

Ok, so..
    The electric field is in the direction of the acceleration, so i solved for the theoretical acceleration caused by the electric field, which turned out to be 3.35x10^12 m/s^1. This is MORE than the actual acceleration, therefore, the magnetic force must be causing the electron to accelerate 1.10x10^12 m/s^2 in the negative z direction. Using this acceleration and mass of the electron, the magnetic force is 1.00625e-18, and using F=qv X B, i found the magnetic field in the Y direction to be 3.88x10^-4 T, which is ultimately wrong...
    where did i go wrong?
    Cheers
    Brent

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 28, 2005 #2
    Remember, that 2.25 X 10^12 is the net accelaration due to electric and magnetic feild. Accelaration due to the electric field is in the -z direction and is = 3.35x10^12 m/s^1. So accelaration caused by the magnetic field should be (2.25 X 10^12 +3.35x10^12) m/s^1 in the +z direction. If you use the lorentz force equation, there is no chance of making a mistake in directions.

Start from the lorentz Equation.

[tex] F= ma \vec z = -eE\vec z -e (vXB)[/tex]

[tex] ev (\vec x X B) = (-eE - ma)\vec z[/tex]

[tex] B_y = \frac{-eE - ma}{ev}[/tex]

4. Feb 28, 2005 #3
    still problems

Hey,
    using the larentz equation, i got an answer of 7.89 x 10^-4 T, which is still wrong... any ideas?
    Cheers

5. Mar 1, 2005 #4
    How did you come up with this number? Could you post the answer?

Substituting in the formula that I got earlier, By= -1.97 X 10^-3 T.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?