Combining Errors for Trigonometric Functions: Understanding the Formula

In summary, the error formula is: \left(\frac{\Lambda r}{r}\right)^{2} = \left(\frac{\Lambda D}{D}\right)^{2} + 16 \left(\frac{\Lambda \theta}{4 \theta}\right)^{2}
Unto
This is just my own practise question.

I have a relationship of

r = [tex]\frac{D}{2}[/tex]sin4[tex]\theta[/tex]

The apparent error formula is now:

[tex]\left(\frac{\Lambda r}{r}\right)^{2}[/tex] = [tex]\left(\frac{\Lambda D}{D}\right)^{2}[/tex] + 16 [tex]\left(\frac{\Lambda \theta}{tan 4 \theta}\right)^{2}[/tex]

Using a standard combination of errors formula, I only get

[tex]\left(\frac{\Lambda r}{r}\right)^{2}[/tex] = [tex]\left(\frac{\Lambda D}{D}\right)^{2}[/tex] + 16 [tex]\left(\frac{\Lambda \theta}{4 \theta}\right)^{2}[/tex]

Since I know there would be an error in the measurement of the angle. The 16 I'm also unsure of anyway, I just guessed you had to square the 4 and put it on the outside. How to you do errors for trigonometric identities is what I want to know. How do you go from sin to tan and what is the reasoning behind what they did and came out with?

Here is the error formula I think I am supposed to use

[tex]\left(\frac{\Lambda F }{F}\right)^{2}[/tex] = [tex]k^{2} \left(\frac{\Lambda A}{A}\right)^{2}[/tex] + [tex] l^{2} \left(\frac{\Lambda B}{B}\right)^{2}[/tex]

Thank you for any help

Physics news on Phys.org
K I've decided I should treat sin [tex]4 /theta[/tex] as a separate piece. But it still doesn't help. What is Sine, how can I change it into a power?

How do I solve this crap lol

The symbols are confusing me sorry. Should I use a maclaurin series for sin (at least that way I would have a linear function).

Can you please explain your link?

Your function r is a nonlinear function of two variables, and the link shows how to determine the variance [itex]\sigma_r^2[/itex] (what you are calling [itex](\Lambda r)^2[/itex]). You don't need to expand the sine term, but you do need to know its derivative.

Lets do it step by step, the link has too much jargon and I simply can't understand it.

K the derivative of sine 4 is 4 cos 4

What importance does this have on our relationship?

The key equation is

[tex]\sigma_f^2=\left(\frac{\partial f}{\partial a}\right)\sigma_a^2+\left(\frac{\partial f}{\partial b}\right)\sigma_b^2[/tex]

for a function [itex]f(a,b)[/itex], where the errors are independent (i.e., the covariance [itex]\mathrm{COV}=0[/itex]).

Your function is [itex]r(D,\theta)[/itex]. Try working through the entire equation.

Equation doesn't work, it's like I have to fluke my way to get the answer.

What is a combination of errors?

A combination of errors refers to the total effect of multiple sources of uncertainty on a measurement or calculation.

Why is it important to consider a combination of errors?

Considering a combination of errors is important because it allows for a more accurate and realistic representation of the true value of a measurement or calculation. It also helps to identify which sources of error have the greatest impact on the final result.

How do you calculate a combination of errors?

To calculate a combination of errors, you must first determine the individual errors for each source. Then, you can use the root sum of squares method to combine the errors.

What is the difference between random and systematic errors?

Random errors are unpredictable and can occur in any direction, while systematic errors are consistent and tend to skew measurements in a particular direction. A combination of errors takes into account both random and systematic errors.

Can a combination of errors be reduced?

Yes, a combination of errors can be reduced by minimizing or eliminating sources of error through proper calibration, standardization, and precision in measurements. It is also important to identify and account for any sources of error that cannot be eliminated.