Combination of lenses and mirrors.

In summary, the given problem involves finding the final image location using the lens equation and other equations related to magnification. The correct solution involves taking into account the distance of the convex mirror from the lens and the placement of the object. The final image is formed in front of the mirror due to the rays converging after reflection.
Timballisto

Homework Statement

The lens and mirror in the figure below have focal lengths of +74.0 cm and -59.1 cm, respectively. An object is placed 1.00 m to the left of the lens as shown.

http://www.jmlproductions.net/jmlproductions/p36-54.gif

I need to find the final image location.

Homework Equations

This problem uses the lens equation:

1/p + 1/q = 1/f

For verification, I use the equations M = -q/p and Mf = M1M2 as the second part asks for final magnification.

The Attempt at a Solution

I have tried this a few times. Calculate the image position for the first lens:

1/100 + 1/q = 1/74

1/((1/74)-(1/100)) = q

So q = 284.62 cm, so the distance of p for the mirror then is -q+100, which means that it's behind the mirror with p = -184.62 cm. Using the lens equation again:

1/-184.62 + 1/q = 1/-59.1

1/((1/-59.1)+(1/184.62)) = q

q = -86.93, so the image is formed in front of the mirror (? convex mirror? Should this happen?)

To convert q to p for the first lens again, add 100 and multiply by -1.

p = -13.07

Then find the final image position.

1/-13.07 + 1/q = 1/74

1/((1/74)+(1/13.7)) = q

q = 11.1

So add this to 100 to get final position at 111.1 cm

I have not actually submitted this answer, but using those numbers to calculate the final magnification, it is also incorrect as the magnification is wrong. What I do know is that the final image is inverted. Many thanks to those that help.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Hi Timballisto, welcome to PF.
When the converging beam falls on a convex mirror, if the image falls on the center of curvature C of the mirror, the rays will retrace their path.
If the image is formed within C, the rays will converge and form an image in front of the mirror.
If the image is formed beyond C, the rays will diverge and image will be formed behind the mirror.
Check what happens in the given problem.

Hi, thanks for the reply.

Since the image distance for the first lens is > 100, the image forms behind the mirror, so the object for the mirror is virtual. I don't know how that changes my solution though other than to make the object position for the mirror -184.62. Should it be a different number?

C for mirror is 118.2 cm. Its distance form the lens is 218.2 cm. Image distance form the lens is 284.62 cm. So the image is beyond C. Draw the ray diagram and check whether the rays from the lens converge or diverge after reflection from the mirror.

What is the purpose of combining lenses and mirrors?

The combination of lenses and mirrors is used to manipulate light and create images. Lenses are used to bend and focus light, while mirrors are used to reflect and redirect light. Together, they can create more complex and precise optical systems, such as telescopes and cameras.

How do lenses and mirrors work together?

Lenses and mirrors work together by utilizing their individual properties to manipulate light. Lenses can bend light in specific directions, while mirrors can reflect light at specific angles. By strategically placing them together, they can create a desired image or magnification.

What are the benefits of using a combination of lenses and mirrors?

Combining lenses and mirrors allows for greater flexibility and precision in manipulating light. This can lead to sharper and clearer images, as well as more efficient use of light. It also allows for the creation of more complex optical systems that can be used for various applications.

What are some common examples of combination of lenses and mirrors?

Some common examples of combination of lenses and mirrors include telescopes, microscopes, and cameras. These devices use lenses to focus light and mirrors to reflect and redirect light, allowing for magnification and the creation of images.

What are the differences between using lenses and mirrors individually versus in combination?

When used individually, lenses and mirrors can still manipulate light, but their capabilities are limited. Combining them allows for a wider range of manipulation and precision in controlling light. Additionally, using both lenses and mirrors together can lead to more compact and efficient optical systems.