1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

COmbination problem

1. May 24, 2014 #1
    Hi,
    An ice cream shop sells ten different flavors of ice cream. You order a two-
    scoop sundae. In how many ways can you choose the flavors for the sundae if
    the two scoops in the sundae are different flavors?

That's what I did :

9+(9-1)+(9-2)+...+(9-9)=45

Would this be any good ?

Thank you!

2. jcsd
  3. May 24, 2014 #2

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

It might be if you explain your reasoning. It's not the usual way to write it. Why do you think it's correct?

4. May 24, 2014 #3
    Well, we need two different sorts, so we have a total combination of 9 for 10 different flavour.

For example, if we consider each flavour a number, then : (1,2) (1,3) ... til (1,10)

Now, if we want to see for the second flavour, we already did the combination (1,2), so we must substract 1 combination from 9.

so we have 9+(9-1) and we continue this way.

I hope that's what you're seeking !

5. May 24, 2014 #4

Mentallic

Homework Helper

Your reasoning is solid and your answer is correct. It may also be helpful for you to know that the answer is 10 choose 2, which is denoted by [itex]^{10}C_2[/itex].

6. May 24, 2014 #5

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Yes, that's what I'm seeking and yes, it's correct. There is a more standard way to do this. See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Combination That would let you write it as 10*9/2=45. Same number.

7. May 25, 2014 #6
    Ok, Thank you again. I didn't know the standard way...^^

8. May 25, 2014 #7

Simon Bridge

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

The "C" notation seems to be out of fashion, at least for starting out.
    John Allen Paulos' influence I suspect.

The usual approach seems to be to argue there are 10 possibilities for the 1st scoop, and, since the second scoop has to be different, there are 9 remaining ... for 10x9=90 possible sundaes with 2 different flavors... however, that counts say "vanilla+ chocolate" as different from "chocolate+vanilla" ... since the order does not matter, then the required value is half that: 90/2=45.
    http://betterexplained.com/articles/easy-permutations-and-combinations/

That was quite interesting reasoning though, I'd like to see that applied to combinations of 3 scoops.

9. May 25, 2014 #8

verty

Homework Helper

This is similar to the problem of counting handshakes: if 10 people shake hands such that every person shakes hands with every other person exactly once, how many handshakes take place?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted