Permutations with Restrictions: Solving a Combination Question

• Thread starter member 428835
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Combination
In summary, the conversation revolves around finding the number of ways the first ten letters of the alphabet can be interchanged, with the restriction that a, b, and c must be adjacent while d cannot touch a or b. The final solution is given as $$3!8! - (2 \times 2! + 2 \times 2!)7!$$ with the help of other users on the forum.
member 428835

Homework Statement

how many ways can ##a,b,c,d,e,f,g,h,i,j## (first ten letters of the alphabet) be interchanged if ##a,b,c## must be adjacent and if ##d## cannot be touching the ##a## nor can it touch the ##b##?

The Attempt at a Solution

to start, i figure we can take the total number of ways that ##a,b,c## without the ##d## restriction and then subtract the ways the ##d## mingles with the ##a,b##. thus, we have (i think)
$$3!8! - 3 \times 3!7!$$

thanks for the help!

Physics news on Phys.org
actually, i think i need to make some cases, thus would it be:
$$3!8! - (3\times 2!2! + 4 \times 2!)7!$$
where the first case is when we have the ##a,b## adjacent and the second case we have the ##c## always in the middle.

what do you think?

I think you're still subtracting too much. The 7! factor is fine, of course.
Remember you should only be subtracting cases where a, b and c are an adjacent trio. That doesn't leave many illegal places for the d.

hmmmm how about $$3!8! - (2 \times 2!2! + 4 \times 2!)7!$$ if the ##a,b## are adjacent we have ##2!## spots for them and then ##2!## spots for them and the ##c##. this then leaves us with ##2## spots for the ##d## to still touch the ##a,b##.

we also have the situation where the ##a,b## are not adjacent, and the ##c## is in the middle. thus, there are ##2!## ways to arrange the ##a,b## around the ##c##. however, there are now ##4## spots we can place the ##d##.

without the ##7!## this leaves only 16 arrangements. that sounds good or too much?

joshmccraney said:
hmmmm how about $$3!8! - (2 \times 2!2! + 4 \times 2!)7!$$ if the ##a,b## are adjacent we have ##2!## spots for them and then ##2!## spots for them and the ##c##. this then leaves us with ##2## spots for the ##d## to still touch the ##a,b##.
After placing the c, I only see one spot for d to go to touch one of a, b.
we also have the situation where the ##a,b## are not adjacent, and the ##c## is in the middle. thus, there are ##2!## ways to arrange the ##a,b## around the ##c##. however, there are now ##4## spots we can place the ##d##.
I only see two for the d.
Placing d must not disrupt the existing assumed adjacencies.

haruspex said:
After placing the c, I only see one spot for d to go to touch one of a, b.
Abdc
Badc
Dabc
Dbac
Cabd
Cbad
Cdab
Cdba

I think there's 8, right?

joshmccraney said:
Abdc
Your 3!8! counts only cases where a, b, c form an adjacent triple. Abdc is not one of those, so it doesn't need to be subtracted.

Likes 1 person
haruspex said:
Your 3!8! counts only cases where a, b, c form an adjacent triple. Abdc is not one of those, so it doesn't need to be subtracted.
great call! i don't know how i missed this! just for completeness, is it $$3!8! - (2 \times 2! + 2 \times 2!)7!$$
thanks for your help!

joshmccraney said:
great call! i don't know how i missed this! just for completeness, is it $$3!8! - (2 \times 2! + 2 \times 2!)7!$$
thanks for your help!
Yep.

Yes. That answer is correct.

hmm. A soldier of me just reported that my name has been mentioned in this thread ##7\times## :approve:
Anyway,glad that you solved a question involving my name. :wink:

It was anything but easy! Thank goodness for pf!

1. What are permutations with restrictions?

Permutations with restrictions refer to the arrangement of a set of objects in a particular order while following certain limitations or conditions.

2. How do you approach solving a combination question with restrictions?

The first step is to identify the restrictions or conditions given in the question. Then, use the appropriate formula or method to calculate the number of possible combinations that satisfy those restrictions.

3. Can you give an example of a combination question with restrictions?

One example is a question that asks how many ways 5 people can be seated at a round table with 8 chairs, given that two people must sit next to each other.

4. What is the difference between permutations and combinations with restrictions?

Permutations with restrictions involve arranging objects in a specific order, while combinations with restrictions focus on selecting a certain number of objects from a larger set without regard to their order.

5. What are some common restrictions seen in combination questions?

Common restrictions include fixed positions or arrangements, specific objects that must be included or excluded, and limitations on the number of objects that can be selected or used in the combination.