Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Aerospace Combination Rocket concept

1. May 23, 2010 #1
    I decided to draw this up when the idea came to me just so I could visualize it.
    I am no rocket scientist so I thouhgt I would post the concept and get some feedback:

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. May 23, 2010 #2

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

and you were planning to get the anti-matter from ?
  4. May 23, 2010 #3
    The lack of availability and means of small, light storage for anti-matter is why it is a concept only. I can imagine that at sometime in the future the cost may come down and availability higher to make it feasable.
    What I would like to know is what the probability is that it would, in fact, produce more thrust than a plasma rocket.
  5. May 27, 2010 #4
    No interest in this?
  6. May 27, 2010 #5

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

If you have an (almost) infinite source of energy - like antimatter - it probably doesn't matter (sorry) how efficient your engine is.
  7. May 27, 2010 #6
    What makes it an infinite source of energy?
    It is a finite amount of both matter and anti-matter (relatively limited amount) stored on the craft and used up for propulsion.
    Both are converted to a plasma and then accelerated into the mixing chamber and nozzle.
    I guess I don't understand how much power it would produse using such small amounts of each.
  8. May 27, 2010 #7

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

It's not infinite, but you can see infinity from there.

The space shuttle's main fuel tank hold around 750,000kg of fuel.
    If that was antimatter it would generate 10^23 Joules of energy, equivalent to about 20,000,000,000,000 tons of jet fuel - not infinite but close enough.
  9. May 28, 2010 #8
    Ok, so I am thinking something on the size of a scuba tank size. That way it would be a lot more acceleration without using much fuel. I figured it would have to be a space launch because I didn't even consider the possibility of being able to achieve orbit from the ground.... It seems I am way off?
  10. Jun 6, 2010 #9
    Use of this kind of engine on earth anti matter can be stored only in magnetic field
    flow control can be done by this magnetic field so no need of pump
    the impulse of the product of process will be very less as it is only energy there is no material, so some working fluid also be subjected to that free energy and can be heated which produce impulse and propel the vehicle.

I also point out one mistake of the design that after reaction of the matter and antimatter is only energy so mixing chamber have no material hence nozzle can not be used.
    but as we use another working fluid as propellant, energy is absorbed by it and the hot fluid passed through the nozzle to accelerate the propellant.
    so nozzle is required but with combination of propellant, without it using nozzle dont mean. n for propulsion propellant must req.
  11. Jun 6, 2010 #10
    This is not the 'imagineering' forums, it's the engineering forums.
  12. Jun 7, 2010 #11
    hey Cyrus,
    every new idea of invention starts with imagination so imagineering is the best engineering,

n by the way the idea of this kind of propulsive system is conceptually correct, the problem is just we dont have the proper source of antimatter.
  13. Jun 7, 2010 #12
    Please take the time to reply to my posts using proper English. That being said, this thread is nothing but speculation. And no, this is not 'the best' engineering (I am an engineer, this is junk science at best).
  14. Jun 7, 2010 #13

Staff: Mentor

I agree that this is too speculative for the PF. Thread is closed.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook