1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Combinations (math 30 pure)

1. Dec 12, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    a license plate has 3mos then 3letters then 3nos(numbers) if there are no constraints
    how many license plates are possible

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    The same as the one above, I am very confused.
  2. jcsd
  3. Dec 12, 2009 #2
    So, if I understand it correctly, the license plate is of the form 123ABC123. There are no constraints, that means the numbers don't need to be unique.

Think about it is a number of slots. In each slots you can put one of several possible values.

What if the license plate was just one number followed by one letter? Try to answer this simpler problem first, and then generalize.
  4. Dec 12, 2009 #3

Science Advisor

I think by "9x9x9x..." you are referring to the "counting principle". Yes, that can be used here. However, if there are no constraints, so that any of the digits can be 0 to 9, there are 10 digits, not 9. And, of course, there are 26 letters.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook