What does a negative distance indicate in a combination of lenses?

In summary, a 3.0 cm high object is placed 50.0 cm from converging lens A with a focal length of 10.0 cm. A second converging lens B with a focal length of 15.0 cm is placed 25.0 cm to the right of lens A. Using the equation 1/di = 1/f - 1/do, the final image is found to be 12.5 cm from lens A and 75 cm from lens B, with a magnification factor of -2.5. This indicates that the image is virtual, upright, and magnified.
synergix

Homework Statement

As shown in the diagram below (not to scale), a 3.0 cm high object is placed 50.0 cm from thin converging lens A that has a focal length of 10.0 cm. Converging lens B with a focal length of 15.0 cm is placed 25.0 cm to the right of lens A. Find and describe the final image.
http://webct6.nic.bc.ca/webct/RelativeResourceManager/Template/CourseMaterials/CourseContent_2007FA/Assignments/PHY060W_Assignment_09_files/image013.jpg

Homework Equations

1/di = 1/f - 1/do

The Attempt at a Solution

1/ dia = 5/50.0cm - 1/50.0cm= 1/12.5 cm

dia=12.5cm

dob= 25.0cm - 12.5 cm = 12.5 cm

fb= 15.0cm

1/dib= 1/15.0cm- 1/12.5cm=

12.5/187.5 - 15.0/187.5=

-2.5/ 187.5

dib= -75

so now to my question. I am not sure what a negative distance indicates when dealing with a combination of lenses. does it mean the image is virtual? because I know from my diagram that it is on the opposite isde of the lenses from where the light is coming.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
I am assuming that since it is a negative distance that the image is virtual, upright, and magnified. Please let me know if I am correct or not. Thanks

A negative distance in a combination of lenses indicates that the image formed is a virtual image. This means that the light rays appear to be coming from a point behind the lens, rather than actually converging at that point. In this case, the negative distance for the final image indicates that it is located behind the lenses, on the opposite side from the object. This is consistent with the diagram, where the final image is shown on the right side of the lenses. Additionally, a negative distance for the final image also indicates that the image is magnified, since the distance is greater than the distance from the object to the first lens.

1. What is the purpose of combining lenses?

Combining lenses allows for the creation of more complex optical systems that can produce a desired image or manipulate light in a specific way. It also allows for the correction of aberrations that may occur with a single lens.

2. What are the different types of combinations of lenses?

There are two main types of combinations of lenses: converging lenses, which bring parallel light rays together, and diverging lenses, which cause parallel light rays to spread apart.

3. How do you calculate the overall power of a combination of lenses?

The overall power of a combination of lenses can be calculated by adding the individual powers of each lens. The power of a lens is equal to 1/f, where f is the focal length in meters.

4. Can any combination of lenses be used to create an image?

No, not all combinations of lenses are suitable for creating an image. The lenses must be carefully chosen and arranged in a specific way to produce a clear and undistorted image.

5. How do you determine the focal length of a combination of lenses?

The focal length of a combination of lenses can be determined by using the thin lens equation, which states that 1/f = 1/u + 1/v, where u is the object distance and v is the image distance. The focal length is equal to the image distance when the object distance is infinitely far away.