1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Combinations Problem

1. May 19, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    There are three girls and six boys on the school softball team. The team consists of a pitcher, a catcher, four infielders, and three outfielders. How many ways can the nine different positions be filled if the pitcher must be a girl and the catcher must be a boy?

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    The answer to this problem is [tex](_3{C}_1)(_6{C}_1)(7!)[/tex]. However, can someone explain the 7! part?
  2. jcsd
  3. May 19, 2008 #2
    The 7! refers to how many ways you can assign the 7 remaining people to the infield and outfield positions after assigning a girl and a boy to be pitcher and catcher.
  4. May 19, 2008 #3
    This is what I had thought. However, there are two positions not one, that the rest are assigned to. Doesn't that affect the answer?
  5. May 19, 2008 #4
    I'm assuming each of the infield and outfield positions are considered different (e.g. left field, right field, center field...)
  6. May 20, 2008 #5
    Thanks Ted, that's exactly what I was looking for. :cool:
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?