Combinatorial math question. Please help

• Thread starter zzzcreepyzzz
  • Start date
In summary, we need to prove that the exponent on a prime p in the prime factorization of the binomial coefficient \binom{2n}{n} is equal to the number of powers p^k of p such that [2n/p^k] is odd. This can be used to determine which primes divide \binom{18}{9} and which divide \binom{20}{10}. A good book to help clarify topics on combinatorial math is "A Walk Through Combinatorics" by Miklos Bona.
zzzcreepyzzz
Combinatorial math question. Please help!

Prove that the exponent on a prime p in the prime factorization of
[tex]
\binom{2n}{n}\right)\left
[/tex]
is the number of powers p^k of p such that [2n/p^k] is odd. Use this to determine which primes divide
[tex]
\binom{18}{9}\right)\left
[/tex]
and which divide
[tex]
\binom{20}{10}\right)\left
[/tex]

My problem is, I don't even understand this concept in the first place. Can someone please help me to solve this problem as well as recommend me a good book that could help me clarify topics on combinatorial math?
Thanks in advance!

Physics news on Phys.org

I presume that you know, at least, the definition:
[tex]\left(\begin{array}{c}m \\ n\end{array}\right)= \frac{m!}{n!(m-n)!}[/tex]

Replacing m with 2n,
[tex]\left(\begin{array}{c}2n \\ n\end{array}\right)= \frac{(2n)!}{n!n!}[/tex]
and, since (2n)!= (2n)(2n-1)(2n-2)... (n)(n-1)... (3)(2)(1), one of those n! in the denominator will cancel the lower part of that:
[tex]\frac{(2n)!}{n!n!}= \frac{(2n)(2n-1)(2n-3)...(n+1)(n)}{n(n-1)...(3)(2)(1)}[/tex]
Now half of the factors in the numerator will be even: 2 times some number less than or equal to n, so will cancel a factor in the denominator.

As an example, take n= 4.
[tex]\left(\begin{array}{c}8 \\ 4\end{array}\right)= \frac{8!}{4!4!}[/tex]
[tex]= \frac{(8)(7)(6)(5)(4)(3)(2)(1)}{[(4)(3)(2)(1)][(4)(3)(2)(1)]}= \frac{(8)(7)(6)(5)}{(4)(3)(2)(1)}[/tex]
[tex]= \frac{ (2\cdot 4)(7)(2\cdot 3)(5)}{(4)(3)(2)(1)}= (2)(7)(2)(5)[/tex]
The positive primes there are 5 and 7 each occurring once because the integer part of 8 divided by either is 1. Of course, 3 is also prime. But 3 divides into 8 2 and 2/3 times. The integer part of that is 2."3" occurred in the binomial coefficient once, in the part 4(3)(2)(1) that got canceled and the second time multiplied by 2, so canceled again. It is only the odd multiples that don't get canceled which is why we only count the number of times that [2n/p^k] is odd.

1. What is combinatorial math?

Combinatorial math is a branch of mathematics that studies the ways in which objects can be combined, arranged, or selected in order to solve problems.

2. What are some real-world applications of combinatorial math?

Combinatorial math has many practical applications, such as optimizing computer algorithms, designing experiments, and analyzing data in fields such as computer science, economics, and biology.

3. What are some common techniques used in combinatorial math?

Some common techniques used in combinatorial math include the multiplication principle, combinations, permutations, and the inclusion-exclusion principle.

4. How do I approach solving a combinatorial math problem?

The first step in solving a combinatorial math problem is to clearly define the problem and identify what type of problem it is (e.g. combinations, permutations, etc.). Then, use the appropriate techniques and formulas to solve the problem.

5. Are there any resources available for learning more about combinatorial math?

Yes, there are many resources available for learning more about combinatorial math, such as textbooks, online courses, and video tutorials. You can also consult with a math tutor or professor for additional help and guidance.