Combinatorial Problem: Analyzing Training Selection for 9 Analysts

• Thread starter HF08
  • Start date
In summary: Let's work on the 2 weeks without replacement. There are C(9,3) ways to take out 3 people from a group of 9. This is where I get stuck. How can I calculate the odds of an individual being picked as 1 of 3 for the 2nd week? Assuming you are picked for the 2 week training, there are C(9,2) ways to choose 2 people. Out of these, you are chosen 1 of 2.
HF08
Hi,

I was reading a models book and read about a study where 9 analysts were chosen at random. Out of this group, 3 were selected for 2 week training, 3 were selected for 3 week training, and 3 were selected for 5 week training. Now I believe this models course had the idea that the first group woud be 9 choose 3. The second, 6 choose 3, and the last one 3 choose 3. I decided to ask myself a question.

This was a linear regression model type problem, but I couldn't help wondering how it would stink if you had to train for 2, 3, and 5 weeks. That is, a total of 10 weeks. So, I am going to ask the following:

Assume you could end up training for 2, 3, and 5 weeks. What is the chance you would be unlucky that they would make you study for 2 weeks, 3 weeks, and 5 weeks? What is the probability that you would be chosen for no weeks given this scenario? Also, what is a way I could say, you were chosen to train for 2 and 5 weeks, but not 3 weeks?

Thanks,
HF08

Physics news on Phys.org
So the original problem is about combinatorics without repetitions, while the new one is a combination of no repetitions, and permutation with repetitions. It's like drawing balls from a vase: in the original problem, each successive draw is taken from the remaining balls; in your new problem, you put each ball back in the vase before picking the new one (which introduces a chance of picking the same ball again).

It's basically like three separate draws without repetition (apply the combinatorics of the original question) for each training course (2, 3 and 5 weeks).

CompuChip said:
So the original problem is about combinatorics without repetitions, while the new one is a combination of no repetitions, and permutation with repetitions. It's like drawing balls from a vase: in the original problem, each successive draw is taken from the remaining balls; in your new problem, you put each ball back in the vase before picking the new one (which introduces a chance of picking the same ball again).

It's basically like three separate draws without repetition (apply the combinatorics of the original question) for each training course (2, 3 and 5 weeks).

Let's work on the 2 weeks without replacement. There are C(9,3) ways to take out 3 people from a group of 9. This is where I get stuck. How can I calculate the odds of an individual being picked as 1 of 3 for the 2nd week?

I have difficulty with understanding combinatorics/permutations. So your help my own question as well as resources to read would be appreciated.

Thanks,
HF08

What is a combinatorial problem?

A combinatorial problem is a type of mathematical problem that involves counting or organizing combinations or arrangements of objects or events. It often involves finding the number of ways that a group of objects can be selected or arranged.

What are some real-world applications of combinatorial problems?

Combinatorial problems are commonly used in fields such as computer science, bioinformatics, and operations research. Some real-world applications include determining the optimal route for a delivery truck, designing efficient computer algorithms, and analyzing DNA sequences.

What are some common strategies for solving combinatorial problems?

Some common strategies for solving combinatorial problems include using mathematical formulas, creating tables or diagrams to visualize the problem, and breaking the problem into smaller, more manageable subproblems. Other strategies may involve using computer algorithms or heuristic techniques to find a solution.

What is the difference between a permutation and a combination?

A permutation is an arrangement in which the order of the objects matters, while a combination is an arrangement in which the order does not matter. For example, choosing a president, vice president, and treasurer from a group of 10 people would be a permutation because the order of the positions matters. However, choosing 3 people to be on a committee from a group of 10 would be a combination because the order of the members does not matter.

How do combinatorial problems relate to probability?

Combinatorial problems and probability are closely related because they both involve counting and analyzing possible outcomes. In fact, combinatorial problems are often used to calculate probabilities, such as the probability of getting a certain hand in a card game or the probability of a specific genetic sequence occurring in a DNA sequence.