1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Combinatorical Problem

1. Jan 14, 2004 #1
    Hi all!

In how many unique ways can 4 dices be combined? Note that the order amongst the dices is not relevant, so 1-2-3-4 = 4-3-2-1.

My idea is that you select the values, one by one. You can select the first value in 6 ways, the second in 6 ways, the third in 6 ways and the fourth in 6 ways. This yield [tex]6^4[/tex] combinations. The order was irrelevant, so the answer should then be [tex]\frac{6^4}{4!}[/tex].

This is obviously wrong... I'm trying to figure out how to think to solve a problem like this.

The answer is

[tex]{6+4-1} \choose {4}[/tex]

Which basically means "select 4 of the 6, and put each value back when you've selected it". I don't get this...

Would really appreciate some guidance!
    Nille

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 14, 2004 #2
    Ok, I have an idea.

Lets say we have dices in a line. The first dice has the value 1, the second 2, the third 3...the sixth 6. This yields the equation

[tex]x_1 + x_2 + x_3 + x_4 + x_5 + x_6 = 4[/tex]

So the solution [tex]x_1 = 2, x_3 = 1, x_4 = 1[/tex] means that two dices has the value 1, one has 3 and one has 4.

This equation has the solution
    [tex]{{4 + 6 - 1} \choose {4}} = {{4+6-1} \choose {5}}[/tex]

Can this be solved in some other way?
    Nille

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?