Combinatorics Challenge: Finding Equal Age Sums with 10 People in a Room

In summary, the conversation revolves around a math problem that involves finding two groups of people with the same sum of ages. There are 10 people in a room, all under the age of 60, and the author believes there are a total of 1023 possible groups with 591 possible values. It is stated that there is a thread already discussing this question and a solution is proposed using the pigeonhole principle. The author also clarifies that a group must consist of at least one person.
Sick0Fant
I rarely care enough about one problem to ask for help, but there are a million problems that are similar to this one and I don't really understand any of them.

The problem I'm looking at reads:

In a room there are 10 people, none of whom are older than 60 (ages are considered as whole numbers only) but each of whom is at least 1 year old. Prove that one can always find two groups of people (with no common person) the sum of whose ages is the same.

The author failed to define "group" (which makes me even more confused), but I would assume that a group consists of at least one person.

I observe that there is a possibility of (2^10)-1 sums, each of which add up to between 10 and 600. I also believe that there are fewer ways to add up to 10 or 600 and that there are a lot of ways to add to 300.

If anyone can help me out in any way at all, I'd be appreciative.

Physics news on Phys.org
hahha there's already a thread on that exact same question. Sorry i Don't have the link...use the search option for combinatorics.

Must be in my class!

hmm, interesting question :smile:

https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=130586

Basically, we have 1023 groups (or possible sums) and only 591 possible values for the groups (sums), so by the pigeonhole principle there are two groups with the same value. If the groups have a common person(s) just remove that person(s) from the group (the sum of the ages will still be the same).

Last edited:

What is "Combinatorics Challenge"?

"Combinatorics Challenge" is a competition or activity that involves solving problems or puzzles related to combinatorics, which is a branch of mathematics that deals with counting and arranging objects.

What skills are needed for "Combinatorics Challenge"?

To be successful in "Combinatorics Challenge", one needs to have a strong understanding of basic combinatorics principles such as permutations, combinations, and probability. It also requires critical thinking, problem-solving, and logical reasoning skills.

Is "Combinatorics Challenge" only for mathematicians?

No, "Combinatorics Challenge" can be participated in by anyone who has an interest in combinatorics and enjoys problem-solving. While having a strong mathematical background may provide an advantage, it is not a requirement for participation.

Can I participate in "Combinatorics Challenge" alone or do I need a team?

It depends on the specific challenge. Some "Combinatorics Challenge" activities may require individual participation, while others may allow teams to work together. It is best to check the rules and guidelines of the particular challenge you are interested in.

What are the benefits of participating in "Combinatorics Challenge"?

Participating in "Combinatorics Challenge" can enhance critical thinking and problem-solving skills, as well as provide an opportunity to apply theoretical knowledge to real-world problems. It can also lead to personal growth, networking opportunities, and potential prizes or recognition.