Combinations and Permutations in Briefcase and Coin Problems

In summary, the first question asks for the number of 5-digit briefcase combinations that have two pairs of distinct digits and one other distinct digit. The correct approach is to first choose the digits, then order them, taking into account the two indistinguishable pairs. The second question asks for the number of combinations with one pair and three other distinct digits, which follows a similar approach. Lastly, the third question asks for the number of ways to pick 12 coins from piles of pennies, nickels, dimes, quarters, and half-dollars, with certain conditions. The correct answer is 16C4 - 5^2 for the first condition, and 1795 - 13C4 for the second
lee534
Hi all I need some assistance
1. Homework Statement with the attempt

How many 5-digit briefcase combinations contain

1. Two pairs of distinct digits and 1 other distinct digit. (e.g 12215)
I wasn't sure on which approach was correct.

10 * 9 * 8 (because there are three distinct digits)

or

10C2 * 5C2* 3C2 * 8 (because you have to take into account how the doubles can be orientated)

2. A pair and three other distinct digits. (e.g 27421)
same issue as above

10*9*8*7

or

(5C2*10) * 9 * 8 * 7

lastly
I have found this question before but I couldn't get an explanation:

How many ways are there to pick a collection of 12 coins from piles of pennies, nickels, dimes, quarters, and half-dollars? Base on the following condition:

1. there are only 10 coins in each pile.
16C4 - 5^2 because it's the total minus how many ways I can get from the 11th coin and the 12th coin. = 1795
2. There are only 10 coins in each pile and the pick must have at least one penny and two nickels?
1795 - 13C4(?)
my logic is that it's because 12-3+4 C 4 but I'm not sure if I have to set it to 12 or 10.

Thank you!

Physics news on Phys.org
I only have a minute, but I'll see what I can get through:

1. First let's pick which digits are going to be used. There are 10 choices for the first paired digits, 9 choices for the second paired digits, and 8 choices for the lone digit. So there are ##10*9*8## ways to choose these digits. Now we have to order them. If we could distinguish our five numbers, the number of ways to order them would be ##5!##. But we have those two indistinguishable pairs. So, for example, putting our first pair in the second and fourth position, we be counting this twice in the ##5!##. So we need to divide by two for each of the pairs. Thus the number of ways to order our 5 numbers accounting for the fact that there are two pairs is: ##\frac{5!}{2*2}##.

Thus the total number of combinations is: ##10*9*8*\frac{5!}{2*2}##.

kduna said:

1. First let's pick which digits are going to be used. There are 10 choices for the first paired digits, 9 choices for the second paired digits, and 8 choices for the lone digit. So there are ##10*9*8## ways to choose these digits. Now we have to order them. If we could distinguish our five numbers, the number of ways to order them would be ##5!##. But we have those two indistinguishable pairs. So, for example, putting our first pair in the second and fourth position, we be counting this twice in the ##5!##. So we need to divide by two for each of the pairs. Thus the number of ways to order our 5 numbers accounting for the fact that there are two pairs is: ##\frac{5!}{2*2}##.

for the positioning

would it matter if the doubles were not next to each other for ex.

12125 or 13212?

kduna said:

That's not quite right. E.g. 11223 gets counted both by picking two 1s, then two 2s and by picking them in the other order.

AH I solved it!, Thank you for replying to the posts!

What is combinatorics discrete math?

Combinatorics discrete math is a branch of mathematics that deals with discrete structures and how to count and organize them. It involves the study of combinations, permutations, and other counting techniques.

What are the applications of combinatorics discrete math?

Combinatorics discrete math has many practical applications, including in computer science, statistics, economics, and physics. It is used to solve problems related to counting, probability, optimization, and decision making.

What are some common terms used in combinatorics discrete math?

Some common terms used in combinatorics discrete math include permutations, combinations, factorial, binomial coefficients, and recurrence relations.

What are the basic principles of combinatorics discrete math?

The basic principles of combinatorics discrete math include the multiplication rule, addition rule, and inclusion-exclusion principle. These principles are used to count the number of possible outcomes in a given scenario.

How is combinatorics discrete math related to other branches of mathematics?

Combinatorics discrete math is closely related to other branches of mathematics, such as algebra, probability, and number theory. It is also used in many different fields, including computer science, physics, and economics, making it a highly interdisciplinary subject.