1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Combinatorics...Please help

1. Nov 3, 2015 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    There are 20 eggs in the box and three of them are rotten,

If I pick eggs without replacement calculate P(my first rotten egg comes at my k-th pick)
    2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    I come up with two solutions:
    (1)As there is no replacement,I can use the hypergeometric distribution
    So,P(my first rotten egg comes at my k-th pick) = C(17,k-1)C(3,1) / C(20,k)

(2)I can use the multiplication theorem for conditional probability,i.e.
    P(my first rotten egg comes at my k-th pick) = (17/20)(16/19).....(3/21-k)

Let assume I got a rotten egg in the 4-th trial,
    Using method (1),P = 8/19
    Using method (2),P = 2/19

Similarly,for the 5-th trial
    (1) yields P = 35/76
    (2) yields P = 7/76

In each case,(1)/(2) = k,where does this factor k come from?Both of them seems make sense so which one is wrong?

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 3, 2015 #2

Samy_A

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Sorry, I was mistaken.

4. Nov 3, 2015 #3

Last edited: Nov 3, 2015
  5. Nov 3, 2015 #4
    Sorry for keep editing my post,my thought isn't clear.
    Do you mean method(2)?
    The probability of choosing good eggs out of 20 is 17/20
    out of 19 is 16/19
    Then suppose you got a rotten at the 4-th trial,
    the probability would be (17/20)(16/19)(15/18)(3/17),because there are 3 rotten eggs out of 17 eggs
    If we generalize the above ,we have
    1 rotten egg = 3/20
    2 rotten eggs = (17/20)(3/19)
    3 rotten eggs = (17/20)(16/19)(3/18)
    k rotten eggs = (17/20)........(3/21-k)

6. Nov 3, 2015 #5

Samy_A

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Yes, I was mistaken, sorry for that.

Your first method is wrong, because in the nominator you multiply the number of ways to select (k-1) non rotten eggs with 3 to get the number of positive cases. But that is clearly wrong, as the number of ways to get the first rotten egg at the k-th pick must be less that the number of ways to select (k-1) non rotten eggs.

Your second method seems right, although there is something wrong with the indices in the product (edit: you removed the product, so forget this remark :oldsmile:).

7. Nov 3, 2015 #6
    Do you mean the hypergeometric distribution would only make sense if we are choosing several objects in 1 trial?So in this case,in which the eggs are picked one by one,the hypergeometric is no longer applicable?

8. Nov 3, 2015 #7

Samy_A

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

The hypergeometric distribution gives the probability of k successes in n draws (at what place in the picking order the successes occur is irrelevant).
    That is not what is asked here: you are asked what the probability is that the k-th draw is the first success.

9. Nov 3, 2015 #8

Ray Vickson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Your calculations are correct, but are severely mis-labelled. You have three rotten eggs---period. You are asked to find the probability of encountering your first rotten egg on draw k, so if ##X =## draw number of first rotten egg, then you should, indeed, have
    [tex] P(X = 1) = \frac{3}{20}, \: P(X = 2) = \frac{17}{20} \frac{3}{19}, \; \text{etc.} [/tex]

You could have labelled these instead as P(0 good eggs) = 3/20, P(1 good egg) = (17/20)(3/19), etc., because you would be counting the "good" eggs before your first rotten one.

BTW: this is not a "combinatorics" problem; it is a "probability" problem.

10. Nov 3, 2015 #9
    Thx for reminding, I always have a problem on defining the RV(i.e.X=1,X=2) so I usually just do it in that way, though it is one of the culprits lead to confusions. I will write them more precisely.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted