Exploring the Relationship Between Combinatorics and Choosing Committees

In summary, the conversation discusses a proof involving the binomial coefficient formula and the number of ways to choose a committee. The main focus is on understanding the relationship between the two sides of the equation and how the number of selections changes as the pool of options increases. Different scenarios are considered and the conversation ends with a question about how to approach a specific case.
davemoosehead

Homework Statement

[tex]{n \choose 0} + {n+1 \choose 1} + {n+2 \choose 2}+...+{n+r \choose r} = {n+r+1 \choose r}[/tex]

We have to prove by counting both sides in a different way.

For example, consider [tex]{n \choose 0}^2 + {n \choose 1}^2+...+{n \choose n}^2 = {2n \choose n}[/tex]
The RHS can be described as a way to choose a committee of size n from n women and n men.
Then, the LHS is the number of ways to choose a committee of size n with 0 women and n men + number of ways to choose 1 woman and n-1 men, etc.

The Attempt at a Solution

The confusing part for me on this problem is that the amount you choose from doesn't stay the same. I'm having trouble thinking of a scenario where the pool you choose from increases as you choose more.

One observation I've made is that (for the LHS) the amount you DON'T choose is always the same, n.

Physics news on Phys.org
davemoosehead said:
One observation I've made is that (for the LHS) the amount you DON'T choose is always the same, n.

Hi davemoosehead! :smile:

The RHS is the number of ways of choosing n+1 from n+r+1, and as you say the LHS is different numbers of ways of choosing n …

so where does the extra one come in? :wink:

tiny-tim said:
Hi davemoosehead! :smile:

The RHS is the number of ways of choosing n+1 from n+r+1, and as you say the LHS is different numbers of ways of choosing n …

so where does the extra one come in? :wink:

I've been thinking about this all afternoon, and still cannot come up with anything. It's given me a new way of looking at it though which makes it look less intimidating.

So you're saying think of it in terms of what we're not choosing (n+1), rather than what we are choosing (r). So..
[tex]
{n \choose n} + {n+1 \choose n} + {n+2 \choose n}+...+{n+r \choose n} = {n+r+1 \choose n+1}
[/tex]
would this be equivalent?

Yes …

and now concentrate on where the first one (of n+1) is. :wink:

tiny-tim said:
Yes …

and now concentrate on where the first one (of n+1) is. :wink:

If we lined up all the n+r+1 things, the first one of [tex]{n+1 \choose n}[/tex] would be the one after the last one of [tex]{n+1 \choose 1}[/tex]

uhh? :confused:

No, I meant eg how many selections are there (of n+1 from n+r+1) in which the first one selected is number 7 (ie the previous 6 are not selected)? :smile:

tiny-tim said:
uhh? :confused:

No, I meant eg how many selections are there (of n+1 from n+r+1) in which the first one selected is number 7 (ie the previous 6 are not selected)? :smile:

If the first 6 are not selected, then you would have (n+r+1-6 C n+1) ?

I'm having a hard time following what you are saying.

davemoosehead said:
If the first 6 are not selected, then you would have (n+r+1-6 C n+1) ?

Yes, but if the first one selected is number 7 (ie the previous 6 are not selected)?

1. What is combinatorics?

Combinatorics is a branch of mathematics that deals with counting and organizing objects or elements in a finite set. It involves the study of combinations, permutations, and other counting methods to solve problems related to arrangements and selections of objects.

2. What are the basic principles of combinatorics?

The basic principles of combinatorics include the fundamental counting principle, permutations, and combinations. The fundamental counting principle states that if there are n ways to perform one task and m ways to perform another task, then the total number of ways to perform both tasks is n x m. Permutations refer to the number of ways to arrange a set of objects, while combinations refer to the number of ways to select a subset of objects from a larger set.

3. How is combinatorics used in real-life problems?

Combinatorics is used in a wide range of real-life problems, including probability, genetics, computer science, and economics. In probability, combinatorics is used to calculate the chances of certain outcomes in games of chance or events with multiple possibilities. In genetics, it is used to study the different combinations of genes in an organism. In computer science, combinatorics is used in algorithms for data compression and error correction. In economics, it is used to study the different combinations of goods and services that can be produced with limited resources.

4. What are some common types of combinatorics problems?

Some common types of combinatorics problems include permutation problems, combination problems, and binomial coefficient problems. Permutation problems involve arranging a set of objects in a specific order, while combination problems involve selecting a subset of objects from a larger set. Binomial coefficient problems involve calculating the number of ways to choose a certain number of objects from a larger set, where order does not matter.

5. Are there any strategies for solving combinatorics problems?

Yes, there are several strategies for solving combinatorics problems, including the use of diagrams or tables, breaking down the problem into smaller parts, and using formulas or equations. It is also helpful to understand the basic principles of combinatorics and practice solving different types of problems to improve problem-solving skills.