1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Combinatorics Question

1. Aug 23, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

The sum of 5 positive real numbers is 100. Prove that there are two numbers among them whose difference is at most 10.

2. Relevant equations

Nothing really...

3. The attempt at a solution

The biggest problem I'm running into is that I can think of specific examples, but translating that into an algebraic argument has always been my weak area. Getting started is where I struggle the most... but I'm thinking the following:

Let's assume there are no two positive real numbers whose difference is at most 10.
    Let [tex]a_{1}, a_{2}, a_{3}, a_{4}, a_{5}[/tex] each represent some positive real number whose sum equal 100. Given that [tex]a_{1}[/tex] is the smallest real number, [tex]a_{2} = 10 + a_{1}[/tex], [tex]a_{3} = 10 + a_{2}[/tex] and so on...

Don't really know where to go from here! Suggestions?

Last edited: Aug 23, 2009
  2. jcsd
  3. Aug 23, 2009 #2

Tom Mattson

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Well you've got a finite set of numbers, so you know it has a minimum. Let [itex]x_1[/itex] be that minimum. Furthermore they're real numbers so they're ordered. Let [itex]x_1\leq x_2 \leq x_3 \leq x_4 \leq x_5[/itex]. Now suppose that there do not exist a pair of numbers such that their difference is at most 10.

Try to show that [itex]x_1+x_2+x_3+x_4+x_5>100[/itex].

4. Aug 23, 2009 #3
    Wow, that was straight forward... Totally figured it out...
    I had an epiphany right before you responded, so I should be good now. I was definitely thinking the same thing, and ended up solving in terms of [tex]a_{1}[/tex]. Regardless of how small [tex]a_{1}[/tex] is, as long as it's not 0, you will receive some value that is greater than 100, thus we have a contradiction, which means that there must be at least two values who have a difference of at most 10!

Thanks for the help!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook