Proving x^n = ∑(x!/x!-k!)S(n,k): Why x Must Be >0 - Insights & Explanation

In summary, the conversation discusses the equation x^{n} = \sum \frac{x!}{x-k!} S(n, k) and the condition that x must be greater than 0. The speaker also questions whether a function mapping [n] to {-x, ..., 1} could be defined. The error in the equation is identified and corrected to x! on the bottom instead of x-k!.
Punkyc7
So the question was, Let x > 0.

Prove that x[itex]^{n}[/itex] = [itex]\sum[/itex] [itex]\frac{x!}{x!-k!}[/itex] S(n, k).

Where the sum goes from k = 1 to n and S(n, k) is th Stirling numbers.

I believe I have proven what I needed to, but my question is why does x have to be greater than 0? Couldn't we define a function that maps [n] to {-x, ..., 1}.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Punkyc7 said:
So the question was, Let x > 0.

Prove that x[itex]^{n}[/itex] = [itex]\sum[/itex] [itex]\frac{x!}{x-k!}[/itex] S(n, k).

Where the sum goes from k = 1 to n and S(n, k) is th Stirling numbers.

I believe I have proven what I needed to, but my question is why does x have to be greater than 0? Couldn't we define a function that maps [n] to {-x, ..., 1}.

Is this equation accurate? The kth term blows up when x = k! for some k in {1,2,...,n}.

RGV

that should be an x! on the bottom... ill fix that

1. What is the equation "x^n = ∑(x!/x!-k!)S(n,k)" used for?

The equation is used to prove the relationship between the exponential function and the binomial coefficient function. It is commonly used in mathematics and statistics to solve problems involving combinations and permutations.

2. Why does x have to be greater than 0 in this equation?

This is because the factorial function (denoted by "!") can only be applied to positive integers. Therefore, x must also be a positive integer for the equation to be valid.

3. How does this equation provide insights into the relationship between x^n and binomial coefficients?

The equation shows that the exponential function (x^n) can be expressed as a sum of binomial coefficients (S(n,k)), which represent the number of ways to choose k objects from a set of n objects. This insight helps in solving problems related to combinations and permutations in mathematics and statistics.

4. Can this equation be used for any value of n and k?

Yes, the equation is valid for any positive integer values of n and k. However, it may not provide meaningful insights for non-integer values of n and k.

5. How can this equation be applied in real-life situations?

The equation can be used in various fields such as probability, statistics, and engineering, to solve problems involving combinations and permutations. For example, it can be used to calculate the probability of getting a specific combination of outcomes in a game of chance, or to determine the number of possible arrangements of objects in a given set.