Probability of No Rook Capture on 8x8 Chessboard | Combinatorics Solution

In summary, the probability of randomly placing 8 rooks on an 8x8 chessboard without any of them being able to capture another one is 8!/(64 choose 8). This may seem like a small probability, but it ensures that there is only one rook in each row, leading to a total of 64 Choose 8 possible combinations.
mcafej
I'm just checking my work on this. Given an 8x8 chessboard, you randomly place 8 rooks on the board. What is the probability that no rooks can capture another one. In other words, probability that no 2 rooks are in the same row or column.

My solution is simply 8!/(64 choose 8), but that seems like a really small probability. My reasoning behind it is that if you look row by row, in order for 8 rooks to not be able to capture each other, there must only be 1 rook in each row, so if you look at the first row, you have 8 possible choices to put a rook. Then if you look at the next row down, there are only 7 possibilities (because the 8th square on that row would put hat rook in line with the 1st rook), then for the 3rd row there are 6 possible choices, and so on all the way down to 1. So that is all the ways that no two rooks would capture each other, and there are a total of 64 Choose 8 ways to put the rooks on the board.

I'm just double checking my work because I'm studying for a test.

Physics news on Phys.org
Your answer looks right to me. You could check it by trying a mini chessboard.

mcafej said:
I'm just checking my work on this. Given an 8x8 chessboard, you randomly place 8 rooks on the board. What is the probability that no rooks can capture another one. In other words, probability that no 2 rooks are in the same row or column.

My solution is simply 8!/(64 choose 8), but that seems like a really small probability. My reasoning behind it is that if you look row by row, in order for 8 rooks to not be able to capture each other, there must only be 1 rook in each row, so if you look at the first row, you have 8 possible choices to put a rook. Then if you look at the next row down, there are only 7 possibilities (because the 8th square on that row would put hat rook in line with the 1st rook), then for the 3rd row there are 6 possible choices, and so on all the way down to 1. So that is all the ways that no two rooks would capture each other, and there are a total of 64 Choose 8 ways to put the rooks on the board.

I'm just double checking my work because I'm studying for a test.

Sounds right to me.

1. What is Combinatorics?

Combinatorics is a branch of mathematics that deals with counting and arranging objects or events in a systematic way. It involves the study of combinations, permutations, and other related concepts.

2. How is Combinatorics applied in real life?

Combinatorics has various applications in different fields such as computer science, statistics, economics, and physics. It is used to solve problems related to probability, optimization, and decision-making.

3. What are the basic principles of Combinatorics?

The basic principles of Combinatorics are the multiplication principle, addition principle, and inclusion-exclusion principle. These principles provide a framework for solving combinatorial problems.

4. How does Combinatorics relate to other branches of mathematics?

Combinatorics is closely related to other branches of mathematics such as algebra, number theory, and graph theory. It also has connections to physics and computer science, making it a multidisciplinary field.

5. What are some common problems in Combinatorics?

Some common problems in Combinatorics include counting problems, selection problems, and arrangement problems. These can range from simple exercises to complex theoretical questions with practical applications.