1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Combinatorics question

1. Dec 6, 2012 #1
    I'm just checking my work on this. Given an 8x8 chessboard, you randomly place 8 rooks on the board. What is the probability that no rooks can capture another one. In other words, probability that no 2 rooks are in the same row or column.

My solution is simply 8!/(64 choose 8), but that seems like a really small probability. My reasoning behind it is that if you look row by row, in order for 8 rooks to not be able to capture each other, there must only be 1 rook in each row, so if you look at the first row, you have 8 possible choices to put a rook. Then if you look at the next row down, there are only 7 possibilities (because the 8th square on that row would put hat rook in line with the 1st rook), then for the 3rd row there are 6 possible choices, and so on all the way down to 1. So that is all the ways that no two rooks would capture each other, and there are a total of 64 Choose 8 ways to put the rooks on the board.

I'm just double checking my work because I'm studying for a test.

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 6, 2012 #2

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

Your answer looks right to me. You could check it by trying a mini chessboard.

4. Dec 6, 2012 #3

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Sounds right to me.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook