Combinatorics Questions

In summary, the number of ways to select 10 jellybeans from Red, Blue, and Green colors with at most 4 Green jellybeans is 10+9+8+7+6+5+4+3+2+1=55 ways.
Extreme112

Homework Statement

How many ways can you select 10 jellybeans from colors Red, Blue, Green so that at most you only have 4 Green jellybeans?

Homework Equations

3. The Attempt at a Solution [/B]
# of ways = # of ways to pick 1 Green + # of ways to pick 2 Green + #of ways to pick 3 Green + # of ways to pick 4 Green.

1 Green jellybean: After picking out the jellybean, there are then 9 left to choose from.
* * * * $ * * * * *
If the '*' are the 9 jellybeans and '$' is the divider to separate the jellybeans so that those on the left of it are Red and those to the right of it are Blue then there are 10!/9! or 10 ways to rearrange it.

2 Greens: Following the same process above would result in 9!/8! = 9
3 Greens: 8!/7! = 8
4 Greens: 7!/6! = 7

Therefore you would have 10+9+8+7 ways to select 10 jellybeans with at most having 4 Green jellybeans.

Physics news on Phys.org
For two greens,
one comes out first, the second one can come out with the second draw, or the third, or... up to the tenth.
that's nine ways... but the first could have come out on the 3rd draw, with the second coming out on the 4th or subsequent... that's another 6 ways or something isn't it?
So that's 15 ways to get 2 green, and I haven't finished counting yet.

Simon Bridge said:
For two greens,
one comes out first, the second one can come out with the second draw, or the third, or... up to the tenth.
that's nine ways... but the first could have come out on the 3rd draw, with the second coming out on the 4th or subsequent... that's another 6 ways or something isn't it?
So that's 15 ways to get 2 green, and I haven't finished counting yet.
I would say Extreme112 is interpreting the question correctly, that the order of selection is unimportant.
Extreme112 said:
you would have 10+9+8+7 ways to select 10 jellybeans with at most having 4 Green jellybeans.
You left out one case.

haruspex said:
I would say Extreme112 is interpreting the question correctly, that the order of selection is unimportant.

You left out one case.
I think I forgot the 0 case. Thanks for the help guys.

1. What is combinatorics?

Combinatorics is a branch of mathematics that deals with counting and organizing objects or events in a systematic way.

2. What are the basic principles of combinatorics?

The basic principles of combinatorics include the fundamental counting principle, permutations, combinations, and the pigeonhole principle.

3. How is combinatorics used in real life?

Combinatorics has many practical applications, such as in computer science, genetics, statistics, and economics. It can be used to analyze and model various real-world situations, including scheduling, probability, and decision-making.

4. What are some common types of combinatorics problems?

Some common types of combinatorics problems include counting problems, probability problems, and graph theory problems. These can involve finding the number of possible outcomes, arranging objects in a certain order, or determining the number of connections between objects.

5. How can I improve my skills in solving combinatorics problems?

To improve your skills in solving combinatorics problems, it is important to practice and familiarize yourself with the basic principles and techniques. You can also study different problem-solving strategies and apply them to various types of combinatorics problems. Additionally, seeking guidance from experienced mathematicians or tutors can also be helpful.