Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Combine laser beam with LED

1. Jun 27, 2015 #1
    I want to create a visible pattern of light from 1-5 feet away. The pattern would have a bright dot in the middle (ala sniper sight) visible in bright light at 5 feet. The cheap toy pointers seem to work just fine. It would also have a filled circular pattern around the dot, 8" in diameter at 4' and visible at about 3' in bright light. I have an LED that does this fairly well with the right diversion (dispersion?) angle. Red seems to be the best color.

So I have 2 questions
    1. How do I combine the laser beam with the LED? All of the optics needs to be packaged in a narrow tube about 1/2' in diameter. I know that a prism of some kind might work but I don't want to spend a lot of time machining down a large prism. What about a mirror with a 2-way coating?

2. Even better, is there a way to produce this pattern with just the laser. Maybe a lens with a hole?

This is just a hack for a toy laser 'shotgun' just for fun.
    So all ideas and criticisms cheerfully accepted.

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 27, 2015 #2

anorlunda

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I think you'll get better answers on a hobbyist forum than on a physícs forum.

4. Jun 27, 2015 #3
    That's kind of offensive anorlunda.

So just because this is a fun hack for a toy, it's beneath the mean of this forum?
    Do others feel this way?

Why would I go to a hobbyist forum for answers about optics?

I've had some great responses here about water flow for my rainbarrels and water conservation projects. I guess I should have gone to a plumbers forum to ask about fluid dynamics.

I guess I should have said "So most ideas and criticisms cheerfully accepted."

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook