Can Two Hard Drives Be Combined Into One to Save USB Inputs?

• Thread starter Mike Phan
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation is about a person who has two hard drives connected to their PC, using up all four available USB inputs. They are seeking advice on how to combine the two hard drives into one to free up USB inputs. Suggestions are made to use a USB hub or a USB PCI card, but there are concerns about power efficiency and possible slower speeds. Another option is to get new enclosures that are powered by wall power or use AC to USB power transformers. Ultimately, the recommendation is to use a powered hub.
Mike Phan
Hi,

I have two hard drives hooking up to my PC and they used up my 4 USB inputs. I am thinking of if we can combine the two to be one, so that we can save two USB inputs. Anyone can help? Thanks

Computer science news on Phys.org
Use a USB hub.

The extra USB cables are needed to supply extra current to the HDDs in order to reach maximum read/write speeds.

As stated by russ_watters, the best option would be to use a USB hub - it could be compared to a network router - which basically joins anything from two to eight or more USB devices into maybe one USB port.

Personally, if you do choose to go down the route of using a hub, I would recommend one with an external power supply since you are effectively splitting the ~5V and ~500mA between many more devices than normal (I can't remember if this is the current specification or not) which may cause them to run slow / not at all.

Search eBay or Google for more information, alternatively another user or myself can provide links if neccessary.

Regards,
Kwah =]

First of all, I would like to thanks to all.
Yes, I am using an USB hub, but as I said I don't like this way. Moreover, sometimes they don't work with the Hub and I have to hook up directly to my PC. I thought of the power inefficiency but it is not right as my hub has an external power supply.

You could get a usb PCI card instead of the hub. Maybe that would solve it.

The only way you're going to be able to get rid of the second USB connections is to get new enclosures that are powered by wall power rather than drawing from USB power.

If you're certain that the 2nd connection on each drive is for power only (which seems like a reasonable assumption) you could get AC to USB power transformers like http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.4837" for those connections.

Last edited by a moderator:
Just use a powered hub. Jeez.

- Warren

chroot said:
Just use a powered hub. Jeez.

He [post=1625103]said[/post] the hub he's using now is powered.

Probelm with a hub, even with USB 2, is that it will slow it down (more so than it already is as a HD being run through a USB)

1. Can I combine two hard drives into one without losing any data?

Yes, it is possible to combine two hard drives without losing any data by using a method called RAID (Redundant Array of Independent Disks). RAID allows for multiple hard drives to be combined into one logical unit, providing improved performance and data redundancy.

2. What are the benefits of combining two hard drives into one?

The main benefit of combining two hard drives into one is increased storage space. By combining the storage capacity of two hard drives, you can have all your files and data in one place, making it easier to manage and access. Additionally, using RAID can also improve read and write speeds for better performance.

3. Can I combine two hard drives of different sizes?

Yes, it is possible to combine two hard drives of different sizes, but the total storage space will be limited to the size of the smaller hard drive. The remaining space on the larger hard drive will not be usable.

4. Is it possible to separate the combined hard drives back into two separate drives?

Yes, it is possible to separate the combined hard drives back into two separate drives. However, this process will result in the loss of all data on the combined drive, so it is important to back up any important files before attempting to separate them.

5. Can I combine two external hard drives into one?

Yes, it is possible to combine two external hard drives into one using RAID, but it may require additional hardware such as a RAID controller. It is also important to note that combining external hard drives may void their warranties, so it is best to check with the manufacturer before attempting to do so.