How to Calculate Combined Apparent Magnitude for Binary Star Systems

In summary, the combined apparent magnitude of a binary system can be calculated by finding the sum of the individual fluxes from each source. This can be determined using the formula m = -2.5log10(F/F0), where F is the flux of the source and F0 is the flux of a reference source with an apparent magnitude of 0. Magnitudes are not additive, so working with fluxes is more useful in this situation.
nicedazed
Hi guys, first post (hopefully not only).

If 2 stars are in an apparent binary system, how do you calculate the "combined apparent magnitude" of the system if you know both their apparent magnitudes and their distance from you.

I can work out the apparent magnitude (even though that's not required) but the combined one is troubling me and other examples on the internet are either unclear to me or using variables i don't have.

Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF nicedazed!

The definition of the apparent magnitude m of a source is:

m = -2.5log10(F/F0)

where F is the flux (the energy per unit time and per unit area) being received from the source, and F0 is the flux of a reference source that has been defined to have an apparent magnitude of 0 (I believe that at one time this reference source was Vega, but now a more complicated set of references is used).

Here, flux is really the meaningful physical quantity. It's what you measure directly, making it overall just more useful to work with. In particular, fluxes are additive, whereas magnitudes are not. So, the total flux being received from the two sources in a binary system is just equal to the sum of the individual fluxes from each source.

Does that last statement give you an idea of how to determine the combined apparent magnitude of the system?

1. What is combined apparent magnitude?

Combined apparent magnitude is a measure of the total brightness of a celestial object as seen from Earth, taking into account both its intrinsic brightness and its distance from us.

2. How is combined apparent magnitude calculated?

Combined apparent magnitude is calculated by adding together the apparent magnitudes of all individual components of a multiple star system or cluster, taking into account their respective distances from Earth.

3. Why is combined apparent magnitude important?

Combined apparent magnitude is important because it allows us to compare the overall brightness of different celestial objects, including those that are made up of multiple components, and to track changes in their brightness over time.

4. How is combined apparent magnitude different from absolute magnitude?

Combined apparent magnitude takes into account the distance of a celestial object from Earth, while absolute magnitude is a measure of its intrinsic brightness at a standard distance of 10 parsecs (32.6 light years) from Earth.

5. How is combined apparent magnitude used in astronomy?

Combined apparent magnitude is used in a variety of ways in astronomy, including to classify stars based on their brightness, to track changes in the brightness of variable stars, and to determine the distance of objects such as galaxies and star clusters from Earth.