Combined Bending & Torsion

In summary, the conversation discusses a lab that studied the effects of combined bending and torsion using a Hi-tech HSM.11 equipment. Results were calculated for different angles and compared to predictions made by von Mises and Tresca. The results suggest that the material used can withstand more stress before yielding.
pauljackson77
I have recently done a lab at university which studied the effects of combined bending and torsion. It was conducted using a Hi-tech HSM.11 piece of equipment. We applied loads at a series of angles, 0deg, 45deg and 90deg. We then worked out our principle stresses and yields. One of the questions is to copmpare our results to those predicted by von mises and tresca. This is where my knowledge struggles as for example at 45deg my sigma1yield I calculated was 0.5MN/m2 and sigma2yield was -0.5MN/m2. When I calculated Von Mises I came up with an answer of 0.75, tresca was 1.

What do these results tell me? What would my comparison be?

Physics news on Phys.org
The comparison between the von Mises and Tresca results can tell you how much more or less stress the material can take before yielding. The von Mises yield criterion is known to overestimate the yield strength of materials, so if your calculated yield strength value is lower than the von Mises prediction, then the material is likely capable of withstanding more stress before yielding. On the other hand, if the calculated yield strength value is higher than the Tresca prediction, then the material is likely capable of withstanding less stress before yielding. In your case, your calculated yield strength values are 0.5MN/m2 and -0.5MN/m2, respectively, which are lower than the von Mises prediction of 0.75 and the Tresca prediction of 1. Therefore, this suggests that the material is capable of withstanding more stress before yielding.

What is combined bending and torsion?

Combined bending and torsion is a type of loading that occurs when a structural element is subjected to both bending and torsional forces simultaneously. This can happen when a structure is subjected to wind or earthquake loads, or when a machine is rotating and being subjected to other external forces.

What is the difference between bending and torsion?

Bending is a type of loading that causes a structural element to bend or deform due to an applied force. Torsion, on the other hand, is a type of loading that causes a structural element to twist or rotate due to an applied torque. While both can cause stress and strain on a structure, they have different effects on the overall behavior of the structure.

How does combined bending and torsion affect a structure?

Combined bending and torsion can cause complex stress and strain patterns in a structure, which can lead to structural failure if not properly accounted for in the design. It can also cause changes in the stiffness and strength of the structure, making it important to consider in the design process.

How do engineers analyze combined bending and torsion in a structure?

Engineers use mathematical equations and computer simulations to analyze the effects of combined bending and torsion on a structure. This involves calculating the stresses and strains at different points along the structure and ensuring that they are within safe limits. The results of the analysis are then used to design the structure for optimal performance.

How can combined bending and torsion be prevented or minimized?

Combined bending and torsion can be prevented or minimized through careful design and construction. This includes using appropriate materials, properly designing connections and joints, and ensuring that the structure is able to withstand the expected loads. Regular inspections and maintenance can also help identify and address any potential issues before they become major problems.