1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Combined BS/MS degree?

1. Feb 23, 2005 #1
    Hey,

I am about 90 credits into my space physics degree. Last friday, I went to talk to the department chair (we've communicated alot since I started school because I'm a bit older than the other students and we share some interests), and he asked me if I'd be interested in switching over to their new combined BS/MS degree in space physics. He said it would only add about 20 credits to the B.S. requirements.

Any thoughts on the pros and cons of doing this?

This would allow me to be automatically admitted to a masters program without having to deal with GRE, and other applications requirements.

Some people have told me that its not a great idea to do graduate work at the same school you did undergrad at because you want more diversity in research opportunities.

If I decide to do a PhD in an area of physics other than space physics, will this be a waste of time.

Would this degree make me more attractive to PhD programs?

Last edited: Feb 23, 2005
  2. jcsd
  3. Feb 24, 2005 #2
    if space physics is something you're interested in and want to continue on, then it's definitely worth considering (esp if you get to skip that GRE). If you're thinking space physics isn't really your thing, then you might want to go the more conventional route.

Doing a graduate degree at the same place you did your undergrad is not necessarily a bad thing, especially at the Master's level. A lot of people have done it (myself included) and probably will continue to do it. I've even known people who did a Bachelor's and PhD at the same place. What's really important is if you know there's someone good you want to work with and a good project you want to work on.

What a lot of people will discourage is doing all three (bachelor, master and PhD) all at the same place.

I don't think it would make you any more or less attractive when hunting for a PhD. You're still essentially coming out with a Master's degree.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?