Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Combined Gas Law

1. May 4, 2015 #1
    I am studying National 5 physics, and my exam is tomorrow. I need some last-minute help.
    I'm struggling a little bit with the combined gas law, P1V1/T1 = P2V2/T2, and I'm not sure why.
    It would help me a lot if you could show step-by-step how the formula is used.
    Thanks for your time, it's very much appreciated.

2. jcsd
  3. May 4, 2015 #2

Drakkith

Staff: Mentor

Where exactly are you having problems with it?

4. May 4, 2015 #3
    That's the problem: I'm not sure where things are going wrong. I think it may be when I substitute in the values and then have to rearrange the equation, which seems strange because usually rearranging equations is the easiest part!

5. May 4, 2015 #4

Drakkith

I'd suggest finding a homework question and posting it in the homework forums, that way the homework helpers can walk you through it and find out where you're having trouble.

6. May 4, 2015 #5
    Okay!
    Thanks a lot for your time.

7. May 4, 2015 #6

Drakkith

I'm sure I'll stop by your thread later, as we are studying the gas laws in class this week. :wink:

8. May 4, 2015 #7
    Update: I did some exam-style questions on it and I've got it now! I think it was a mixture of me overcomplicating it and occasionally forgetting to convert the temperature into kelvin :smile:

9. May 5, 2015 #8

Drakkith

Yes, I just clarified this with my instructor tonight. Makes sense, otherwise you end up with negative numbers when your temperature goes below zero!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook