Combined Gas Law: Find Volume V2

In summary, the conversation discussed a problem involving pressure, volume, and temperature. The initial conditions were given as 13.6 psi, 1.1 liters, and 22 degrees Celsius. The final conditions were given as 14.4 psi, x liters, and 32 degrees Celsius. The question asked whether increasing pressure causes volume to decrease or increase, and whether decreasing temperature causes volume to decrease or increase. The answer to both questions was determined to be decrease, and the final volume was calculated to be 1.07 liters.
serendipityfox
Homework Statement
1.1L volume O2 collected in balloon, at 295K, 13.6 psi.
next day... 32C, 0.98 atm
what is the volume in the balloon.

a) 0.107L
b) 1.07L
c) 10.7L
d) 107.0L
Relevant Equations
pv/t = pv/t
1atm = 14.7psi
P1= 13.6 V1= 1.1 T1= 22 P2 = 14.4 V2= x T2 = 32
my answer is 1.51L

am i missing something? 

Physics news on Phys.org
Yes, an explanation what the numbers represent. Hint: 22 is NOT T1 in your relevant equation.

Damn! I need to convert to Kelvin for gas problems, right

Likes scottdave and BvU
"13.6 psi" in the problem statement is ambiguous. Is that psia or psig? Doubly confusing since a "balloon" suggests pressure higher than ambient. You can work out the answer both ways and then see whether the available choices allow you to eliminate one possibility. I call that a crummy question.

Does increasing the pressure cause the volume to decrease or increase?

Does decreasing the temperature cause the volume to decrease or increase?

I get none of the answers that are given.

I got (b) 1.07 liter by assuming the 13.6 psi initial condition is psia. Also note, the initial volume is 1.1 liters; I missed that the first time thru (thinking it was 1 liters).

gmax137 said:
I got (b) 1.07 liter by assuming the 13.6 psi initial condition is psia. Also note, the initial volume is 1.1 liters; I missed that the first time thru (thinking it was 1 liters).
I also got 1.07 now. Initially I used 293 instead of 305 for some reason.

Last edited:
thanks for the answers, i am happy with what i have... i am now sure the question is designed to dilineate two levels of students, and so there's no need for me to progress further for now.

1. What is the Combined Gas Law?

The Combined Gas Law is a gas law that combines the relationships between pressure, volume, and temperature of a gas. It states that the product of pressure and volume is directly proportional to the temperature of a gas, assuming the amount of gas and the number of molecules remain constant.

2. How do you calculate volume using the Combined Gas Law?

To calculate volume using the Combined Gas Law, you will need to know the initial volume (V1), initial pressure (P1), initial temperature (T1), and the final temperature (T2) of the gas. The formula is V2 = (V1 x P1 x T2) / T1.

3. Can you use the Combined Gas Law for all types of gases?

Yes, the Combined Gas Law can be used for all types of gases as long as the amount of gas and the number of molecules remain constant.

4. What are the units of measurement for the variables in the Combined Gas Law?

Pressure is typically measured in units of atmospheres (atm), volume in liters (L), and temperature in Kelvin (K).

5. How is the Combined Gas Law different from other gas laws?

The Combined Gas Law is a combination of the other three gas laws: Boyle's Law, Charles's Law, and Gay-Lussac's Law. It takes into account the relationship between all three variables (pressure, volume, and temperature) instead of just two.