Calculating Acceleration in a Combined Mass System

In summary, the conversation is about a problem involving two masses colliding and combining. The first mass has a mass of 500 grams and a velocity of 7m/s, while the second mass has a mass of 50 grams and is stationary. The question is how to calculate the acceleration of the second mass, preferably on a dynamic basis. Various methods, such as using a Runge-Kutta 4th order algorithm and assuming a high stiffness value for the materials, have been discussed but deemed too complex. The conversation ends with the realization that more information is needed in order to solve the problem accurately.
Stuman
Hi, I am working on a problem that involves the following
I have a mass of 500 grams traveling at 7m/s that hits and sticks to another mass of 50 grams that was stationary.

What acceleration does the second ( 50 gram ) mass experience?

I have tried using a Runge-Kutta 4th order algorithm to solve some Differential Equations of motion and assuming a very high K value for the stiffness of the materials, but I think this is too complex.

How can I calculate the acceleration, preferably on a time basis, not just assuming that it took 0.1 seconds to get upto the new combined speed of approx 6.9?? m/s.

Thanks
Stuman

Physics news on Phys.org
For the information you given... It is imposssible.
Period...

OK. I don't want a numerical answer, I would like a methodology. Basically it is an impact related question where the two masses combine. How do you calculate the acceleration of the second 50 gram mass?

Problem is not solvable in the absence of other data.

What other data would you like?

If you made a simple assumtion that the accelaration is constant, what you need is the
time interval of the impact...

Stuman said:
What other data would you like?
Or the deformation during impact. Then the whole heap, assuming the impact takes place on a level frictionless surface , would move off at a constant speed of 6.9m/s forever and ever...

As I said in my original post

not just assuming that it took 0.1 seconds to get upto the new combined speed of approx 6.9?? m/s.

I cannot use constant acceleration of impact time. I need to claculte it on a dynamic basis.

Stuman said:
As I said in my original post

I cannot use constant acceleration of impact time. I need to claculte it on a dynamic basis.
Do you think it makes a difference whether the masses are made of soft clay or hardened steel?

I do think it makes a difference which is why I stated in my original problem that during my RK4 analysis I assumed a high K value for the stiffness of the materials.

Stuman said:
I do think it makes a difference which is why I stated in my original problem that during my RK4 analysis I assumed a high K value for the stiffness of the materials.
Why did you assume a high value? why not a low one? If I hadn't posted prior to reading chanvincent's response, i would have let it go at that...It is imposssible.
Period...

OK, getting nowhere quick, subject is now closed.

1. What is combined mass acceleration?

Combined mass acceleration refers to the overall acceleration of a system or object that is affected by the combined masses of multiple objects. It takes into account the individual masses and accelerations of each object to determine the overall acceleration of the system.

2. How is combined mass acceleration calculated?

Combined mass acceleration is calculated by dividing the total force acting on a system by the total mass of the system. This can be represented by the equation a = F/m, where a is the acceleration, F is the total force, and m is the total mass.

3. What is the difference between combined mass acceleration and individual acceleration?

The main difference between combined mass acceleration and individual acceleration is that combined mass acceleration takes into account the combined masses of multiple objects, while individual acceleration only considers the acceleration of a single object.

4. How does combined mass acceleration affect the motion of a system?

The combined mass acceleration of a system affects its motion by determining the overall acceleration of the system. If the combined mass acceleration is greater than zero, the system will experience a net acceleration in the direction of the total force acting on it.

5. What are some real-life examples of combined mass acceleration?

Some real-life examples of combined mass acceleration include the motion of a rocket, the acceleration of a car pulling a trailer, and the motion of a pendulum with multiple weights attached. In all of these cases, the overall acceleration of the system is affected by the combined masses of multiple objects.