Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Combined mass acceleration

1. Jan 18, 2007 #1
    Hi, I am working on a problem that involves the following
    I have a mass of 500 grams travelling at 7m/s that hits and sticks to another mass of 50 grams that was stationary.

What acceleration does the second ( 50 gram ) mass experience?

I have tried using a Runge-Kutta 4th order algorithm to solve some Differential Equations of motion and assuming a very high K value for the stiffness of the materials, but I think this is too complex.

How can I calculate the acceleration, preferably on a time basis, not just assuming that it took 0.1 seconds to get upto the new combined speed of approx 6.9?? m/s.

Thanks
    Stuman
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 18, 2007 #2
    For the information you given.... It is imposssible.
    Period...

4. Jan 18, 2007 #3
    OK. I don't want a numerical answer, I would like a methodology. Basically it is an impact related question where the two masses combine. How do you calculate the acceleration of the second 50 gram mass?

5. Jan 18, 2007 #4

PhanthomJay

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Problem is not solvable in the absence of other data.

6. Jan 18, 2007 #5
    What other data would you like?

7. Jan 18, 2007 #6
    If you made a simple assumtion that the accelaration is constant, what you need is the
    time interval of the impact....

8. Jan 18, 2007 #7

PhanthomJay

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Or the deformation during impact. Then the whole heap, assuming the impact takes place on a level frictionless surface , would move off at a constant speed of 6.9m/s forever and ever................

9. Jan 18, 2007 #8
    As I said in my original post

I cannot use constant acceleration of impact time. I need to claculte it on a dynamic basis.

10. Jan 18, 2007 #9

PhanthomJay

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Do you think it makes a difference whether the masses are made of soft clay or hardened steel?

11. Jan 18, 2007 #10
    I do think it makes a difference which is why I stated in my original problem that during my RK4 analysis I assumed a high K value for the stiffness of the materials.

12. Jan 18, 2007 #11

PhanthomJay

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Why did you assume a high value? why not a low one? If I hadn't posted prior to reading chanvincent's response, i would have let it go at that....It is imposssible.
    Period...

13. Jan 18, 2007 #12
    OK, getting nowhere quick, subject is now closed.

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook