1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Combined mass acceleration

1. Jan 18, 2007 #1
    Hi, I am working on a problem that involves the following
    I have a mass of 500 grams travelling at 7m/s that hits and sticks to another mass of 50 grams that was stationary.

What acceleration does the second ( 50 gram ) mass experience?

I have tried using a Runge-Kutta 4th order algorithm to solve some Differential Equations of motion and assuming a very high K value for the stiffness of the materials, but I think this is too complex.

How can I calculate the acceleration, preferably on a time basis, not just assuming that it took 0.1 seconds to get upto the new combined speed of approx 6.9?? m/s.

Thanks
    Stuman
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 18, 2007 #2
    For the information you given.... It is imposssible.
    Period...

4. Jan 18, 2007 #3
    OK. I don't want a numerical answer, I would like a methodology. Basically it is an impact related question where the two masses combine. How do you calculate the acceleration of the second 50 gram mass?

5. Jan 18, 2007 #4

PhanthomJay

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Problem is not solvable in the absence of other data.

6. Jan 18, 2007 #5
    What other data would you like?

7. Jan 18, 2007 #6
    If you made a simple assumtion that the accelaration is constant, what you need is the
    time interval of the impact....

8. Jan 18, 2007 #7

PhanthomJay

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Or the deformation during impact. Then the whole heap, assuming the impact takes place on a level frictionless surface , would move off at a constant speed of 6.9m/s forever and ever................

9. Jan 18, 2007 #8
    As I said in my original post

I cannot use constant acceleration of impact time. I need to claculte it on a dynamic basis.

10. Jan 18, 2007 #9

PhanthomJay

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Do you think it makes a difference whether the masses are made of soft clay or hardened steel?

11. Jan 18, 2007 #10
    I do think it makes a difference which is why I stated in my original problem that during my RK4 analysis I assumed a high K value for the stiffness of the materials.

12. Jan 18, 2007 #11

PhanthomJay

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Why did you assume a high value? why not a low one? If I hadn't posted prior to reading chanvincent's response, i would have let it go at that....It is imposssible.
    Period...

13. Jan 18, 2007 #12
    OK, getting nowhere quick, subject is now closed.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?