Can a CMG System Help Create a Self-Balancing Bicycle with Dual Flywheels?

In summary, the conversation is about building a self balancing autonomous bicycle and the need for knowledge about the CMG system. The person is asking for guidance on the basics of gyroscopes and mentions using RPi, Arduino, or MicroPython. The expert recommends using a combination of a 3-axis accelerometer and 2-axis gyro with a complementary filter to accurately estimate the orientation of the bike. They also suggest using trigonometry and basic feedback control and recommend Arduino for coding assistance. They also mention using two flywheels as a mechanical gyroscope for balance.
akagodfather
I want to build a Self Balancing autonomous bicycle for which I need to know about CMG System,Can Any one please guide me to the basics of Gyroscope and CMG- Ebooks would be a great starts.

Engineering news on Phys.org
What electronics are you using? RPi, Arduino, MicroPython?
Not exactly sure what you mean by "combined motion". Assuming this means sensor fusion, here's an example of a 3 axis accelerometer + 2 axis gyro with complementary filter to accurately estimate 3 axis orientation
http://www.starlino.com/imu_guide.html
which people have used to build self balancing robots (comment section from above link has people building them too). Basically, you use both the accel and gyro to get a more accurate orientation estimate than either alone. Then, orientation is fed into your system model to balance the bike. You can also add a gps if you need to track position.

Prerequisites are trig. and basic feedback control. There should be plenty of programming help online for your sensors, though I'd recommend Arduino if you haven't coded much.

@yangshi Thank you for your reply,But I am asking to balance a cycle which will be using 2 flywheels as a mechanical gyroscope.
cmg.png

1. What is a Combined Motion Gyroscope?

A Combined Motion Gyroscope is a type of gyroscope that measures both rotational and linear motion. It uses a combination of gyroscopic and accelerometric sensors to accurately detect and measure the orientation and movement of an object.

2. How does a Combined Motion Gyroscope work?

A Combined Motion Gyroscope works by utilizing the principles of angular momentum and inertial navigation. The gyroscopic sensor measures the rotation of the object, while the accelerometric sensor measures the linear acceleration. The data from both sensors is combined and processed to determine the object's orientation and movement.

3. What are the applications of a Combined Motion Gyroscope?

Combined Motion Gyroscopes have a wide range of applications, including in navigation systems, virtual reality devices, motion tracking for gaming and sports, and robotics. They are also used in various industrial and military applications for accurate positioning and control.

4. How accurate is a Combined Motion Gyroscope?

The accuracy of a Combined Motion Gyroscope depends on various factors such as the quality of the sensors, calibration, and environmental conditions. However, modern Combined Motion Gyroscopes have high accuracy and can measure motion with precision up to a few degrees or millimeters.

5. Can a Combined Motion Gyroscope be used in space?

Yes, Combined Motion Gyroscopes can be used in space as they do not rely on external references for orientation and movement measurement. They are commonly used in spacecraft and satellites for navigation and attitude control.