1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Combinging the genetic material of 2 like gametes?

1. Apr 11, 2004 #1
    Let's say one was breeding a type of animal, and they wanted all males to have certain characteristics, and all females to have a different set of characteristics. If said breeder had 2 female animals with the characteristics it wanted, could the breeder take the genetic material from the unfertilized ovum of female A and implant it in an ovum of female B, and then artificially implant the fertilized ovum into the uterus of one of the females?

I know this sounds weird, but is it possible, is there anything which would stop the non sex chromosomes from conjoining normally to make a diploid zygote, or anything different between the x chromosome of an ovum and the x chromosome of a sperm?

Simmilarly, could one take the genetic material out of an ovum and implant the genetic material of one X sperm and one Y sperm?

Thanks for entertaining my warped mind's curiosity,
    Jacob

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 12, 2004 #2

Monique

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I once played with this same idea in a PhysicsPost article..

4. Apr 12, 2004 #3
    Thanks, I actually understood most everything in that article! However, I don't see how a mouse could be conceived from 3 sets of genetic material, were its somatic cells triploid?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?