Combine Degrees: Info, Advantages & University Policies

• Programs
  • Thread starter no name
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Degrees
In summary: However, the most important thing is that you have the passion for both fields. In summary, the purpose of a degree is to provide an individual with the skills and knowledge necessary to pursue a specific goal. A degree in physics with mathematical methods can be used for a variety of purposes, such as pure research, applied research, or later engineering. It is important to have the passion for both fields in order to achieve the most success.
no name
hey all
could anyone explain the idea of combining degrees ... when can i combine , is it when i finish from a certain major or ?? should both degrees be related to each others , i mean math and something related to it let's say quantum physics or whatever ... does every university provide this system ... finally what is the advantages of combining?
thanx in advance
cheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeers

Physics news on Phys.org
any 1 4 help ?

"Combining degrees" can mean two things. It can mean just pursuing more than one major. For instance, you might double-major in math and physics. In multiple-majors, your majors are still separate, with their usual requirements. If you're double-majoring in math and physics, you have to do all of the work math majors do and all of the work physics majors do. I think most colleges allow double-majors, but some have stopped allowing triple-majors and higher. You usually need permission to pursue multiple majors.
Alternatively, two or more schools or departments (that's just what the divisions of the college are called, like the School of Arts or the Math Department) may get together and offer a special interdisciplinary program. For instance, if a college doesn't have a Logic Department, the Math, Computer Science, and Philosophy Departments might get together and offer a program in logic, combining courses from all three departments. In this case, you don't have to do all of the work of math, computer science, and philosophy majors; You have your own special requirements. It counts as one major and you earn one degree. For technical reasons, you usually enter one the participating departments and they award you your degree. These types of programs vary from place to place. I imagine several fields got their start this way. For instance, I wouldn't be surprised if cognitive science, which is now a full-fledged department at many schools, started out as a special interdisciplinary program offered by separate departments.

Edit: Woops, I forgot your other questions.
when can i combine , is it when i finish from a certain major or ?? should both degrees be related to each others , i mean math and something related to it let's say quantum physics or whatever ... does every university provide this system ... finally what is the advantages of combining?
I think the deadline at most schools for declaring a major is towards the end of your sophomore year. Since interdisciplinary programs count as one major, the same rules should apply. You should check with your school to be sure though. If you are pursuing multiple majors, you may be able to add on the extra major(s) at a later time; Check with your school.
Multiple majors don't have to be related; They can be whatever you like. There may be an advantage in choosing related majors in that the requirements usually overlap. For instance, Discrete Mathematics may be required for both math and computer science majors; You would only have to take the class once, and it would count towards both degrees.

Last edited:
First define the purpose you want your degree to have multiple majors - or dual degrees with dual majors in each, etc. Ask yourself - why?

Second, depending on the first, you look for the appropriate major and any number of electives and/or second major that will fully overlap your desired interest.

You seem to be interested in quantum physics with mathematical methods. Do you want to do pure research? To apply this knowledge to other systems (chemical, biological, nuclear)? To go into electrical/computer engineering later on? These are all possible choices and reasons - and there are possible solutions: 1. BS Math/BS Physics degree, MS Electrical Engineering or 2. BS Electrical Engineering/ BS Math or 3. BS Electrical Engineering/ BS Math. All these options require relatively same amount of courses, and a somewhat different difficulty level (MS EE)

1. What is a combined degree program?

A combined degree program is when a student pursues two undergraduate degrees simultaneously. This could be two degrees in the same field or in different fields.

2. What are the advantages of a combined degree program?

Some advantages of a combined degree program include saving time and money, gaining a broader skill set and knowledge base, and increasing competitiveness in the job market.

3. Are there any university policies regarding combined degrees?

Yes, each university may have its own policies and requirements for combined degree programs. It is important for students to research and understand these policies before applying.

4. How long does it take to complete a combined degree program?

The length of a combined degree program varies depending on the specific program and university. It could take anywhere from 4-6 years to complete both degrees.

5. Can a combined degree program be done online?

It depends on the specific program and university. Some universities may offer online combined degree programs, while others may require in-person classes or a hybrid approach.