Hooke's Law: Combining Forces & Question on Resultant Force

• Thread starter Zynoakib
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Forces
In summary, the spring constant for Hooke's law is 268.7005769 N. The load and the spring are taken down. Two people pull in opposite directions on the ends of the spring, each with a force of 190 N. The resultant force is the magnitude of the two forces.
Zynoakib

Homework Statement

Hooke’s law describes a certain light spring of
unstretched length 35.0 cm. When one end is attached
to the top of a doorframe and a 7.50-kg object is hung
from the other end, the length of the spring is 41.5 cm.
(a) Find its spring constant. (b) The load and the spring
are taken down. Two people pull in opposite directions
on the ends of the spring, each with a force of 190 N.
Find the length of the spring in this situation.

I am having a small problem on (b)

Homework Equations

No

The Attempt at a Solution

Since the question says "Two people pull in opposite directions on the ends of the spring, each with a force of 190 N.", shouldn't the resultant force be 190N x 2 instead of just 190N (the answer)?

Physics news on Phys.org
Look at the end points of the spring separately and make a drawing of the forces. Newton (action = -reaction) applies. In a as well as in b. (what do you think is the force on the doorframe in a ?)

Mr flibble. said:
The resultant force is the magnitude of the
two forces. The relevant equation in a situation like this is the sum of the forces.

Fz=(Fx^2+Fy^2)^1/2

We can neglect Fy on this occassion, treating Fx as a vector its magnitude is,

Fx= (Fa^2+(-Fb)^2)^1/2 N
= (190^2 + (-190)^2)^1/2 N
= 268.7005769 N

The correct notation for the equation is sigma Fx, Fy, Fz. Now we know how much force is being exerted on the spring we can use hooks law,

F=-kX
X=F/-k

I'd have a look into statics with free body diagrams there great for visualising problems.
Since you're so good with free body diagrams, please show us your free body diagram for this situation. I'm guessing that your interpretation of the problem statement is very different from that of the rest of us.

Chet

Likes Qwertywerty
BvU said:
Look at the end points of the spring separately and make a drawing of the forces. Newton (action = -reaction) applies. In a as well as in b. (what do you think is the force on the doorframe in a ?)

The force on the doorframe in a should be 7.5 x 9.8 = 73.5 N

That's what I can imagine.
20150804_235046.jpg

The force on the doorframe in a should be 7.5 x 9.8 = 73.5 N
That's right (plus some force from the weight of the spring itself).

(By the way, learn yourself to always include units -- and check them -- like: 7.5 kg ##\times ## 9.8 m/s2 = 73.5 N -- and N = kgm/s2 )​

So for the spring constant, I hope you divide this 73.5 N by the extension (0.065 m) and not by twice 73.5 N.

Can you see the similarity with the two people pulling in opposite directions ?

I agree with your picture. Wholeheartedly: no matter what happens on the other end of the spring. It may be attached to the side of a doorframe (which then exerts a force of 190 N on the spring ! -- a mirror picture of yours) or it may be that someone holds the other end in place. If there's a curtain hanging in the middle, I won't be able to tell the difference !

Same with a rope: if the tension in the rope is 190 N, then a force of 190 N is required on both ends. Opposite and equal, so that the vector sum is zero: no acceleration (another Newton law). Again: doorframe or person -- doesn't matter.

Likes Zynoakib
Thank you, I get it now!

1. What is Hooke's Law?

Hooke's Law is a principle in physics that states the force needed to extend or compress a spring is directly proportional to the distance the spring is stretched or compressed.

2. How do you calculate the force applied to a spring using Hooke's Law?

The force applied to a spring can be calculated by multiplying the spring constant by the distance the spring is stretched or compressed. This can be represented by the equation F = kx, where F is the force, k is the spring constant, and x is the distance.

3. Can Hooke's Law be applied to other elastic materials besides springs?

Yes, Hooke's Law can be applied to any elastic material as long as the material follows the same linear relationship between force and displacement.

4. What happens when multiple forces are applied to a spring at the same time?

When multiple forces are applied to a spring at the same time, the total force on the spring is equal to the sum of all the individual forces. This is known as the principle of superposition.

5. How do you calculate the resultant force when combining forces on a spring?

To calculate the resultant force, you need to first determine the individual forces acting on the spring. Then, use vector addition to find the sum of all the forces, which will give you the resultant force. This can be represented by the equation Fresultant = √(F12 + F22 + ... + Fn2), where F1, F2, ..., Fn are the individual forces acting on the spring.