1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Combining Functions

1. May 28, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

I was giving a graph of a combined function and four different equations and I need to select 2 of the equations and whether the graph shown is of addition, subtraction, multiplication or division. F(X)= X and H(X) = COS X and the combined graph is F(X)*H(X).

I need to justify my answer using key features of the graph as related to the initial functions

My attempt:

I could easily tell in my head that the graph shown on my paper was of X*cosX, but I'm just not sure how to explain it using the key features (domain, range, x and y ints, etc.). Essentially, I have to explain why I chose those two functions and why I chose multiplication.

- The new function is oscillating, which is why cos X is one of the functions.
    - There are no asymptotes

What else can I say? Thanks in advance.

2. jcsd
  3. May 29, 2009 #2

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

Here are some ideas. You didn't say what the other two functions are, which makes it difficult to say why you chose f(x) = x and h(x) = cos x as the two you chose. As far as the arithmetic operation, think about how the graphs of f + h, f - h, fh, and f/h would look, based on the two functions you showed, and the other two that you didn't show.

For f + h you would have a graph that has the same oscillation as cos x, but with a central axis (for lack of a better word) that angles up to the right.

For f - h, which is equal to f + (-h), the graph would be similar to that of f + h, except that instead of adding cos x you would be adding its reflection across the x-axis.

For fh, when x > 0, you are multiplying by increasingly larger values, so you get the oscillation of the cosine factor, but the magnitude of the oscillation increases. When x < 0, this time you are multiplying by numbers that are getting more negative, which has a similar effect on the magnitude of oscillation, but also flips the cosine graph across the x-axis.

For f/h, because you are dividing by something that is periodically zero, there are going to be vertical asymptotes at each odd multiple of pi/2 (i.e., at +/-pi/2, +/-3pi/2, +/-5pi/2, and so on). At all other points you are going to be dividing by numbers in the interval [-1, 1], so there will be points on the graph that are identical to those on the graph of f(x) = x, and some that are identical to those on the graph of y = -x.

That should give you something to think about.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook