Combining Functions: Explaining Multiplication of F(X) & H(X)

• Thread starter CanadianEh
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Functions
In summary, the task was to select two equations from a given graph of a combined function and determine whether the operation was addition, subtraction, multiplication, or division. The chosen equations were f(x) = x and h(x) = cos x, and the operation was multiplication. The justification for this choice was based on key features of the graph, such as the oscillating nature of the new function and the absence of asymptotes. The other possible operations were considered and their effects on the graph were described, providing additional insight into the chosen solution.
CanadianEh

Homework Statement

I was giving a graph of a combined function and four different equations and I need to select 2 of the equations and whether the graph shown is of addition, subtraction, multiplication or division. F(X)= X and H(X) = COS X and the combined graph is F(X)*H(X).

I need to justify my answer using key features of the graph as related to the initial functions

My attempt:

I could easily tell in my head that the graph shown on my paper was of X*cosX, but I'm just not sure how to explain it using the key features (domain, range, x and y ints, etc.). Essentially, I have to explain why I chose those two functions and why I chose multiplication.

- The new function is oscillating, which is why cos X is one of the functions.
- There are no asymptotes

What else can I say? Thanks in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
Here are some ideas. You didn't say what the other two functions are, which makes it difficult to say why you chose f(x) = x and h(x) = cos x as the two you chose. As far as the arithmetic operation, think about how the graphs of f + h, f - h, fh, and f/h would look, based on the two functions you showed, and the other two that you didn't show.

For f + h you would have a graph that has the same oscillation as cos x, but with a central axis (for lack of a better word) that angles up to the right.

For f - h, which is equal to f + (-h), the graph would be similar to that of f + h, except that instead of adding cos x you would be adding its reflection across the x-axis.

For fh, when x > 0, you are multiplying by increasingly larger values, so you get the oscillation of the cosine factor, but the magnitude of the oscillation increases. When x < 0, this time you are multiplying by numbers that are getting more negative, which has a similar effect on the magnitude of oscillation, but also flips the cosine graph across the x-axis.

For f/h, because you are dividing by something that is periodically zero, there are going to be vertical asymptotes at each odd multiple of pi/2 (i.e., at +/-pi/2, +/-3pi/2, +/-5pi/2, and so on). At all other points you are going to be dividing by numbers in the interval [-1, 1], so there will be points on the graph that are identical to those on the graph of f(x) = x, and some that are identical to those on the graph of y = -x.

That should give you something to think about.

1. What is the purpose of combining functions in mathematics?

The purpose of combining functions is to simplify complex mathematical expressions by breaking them down into smaller, more manageable parts. This allows us to better understand and manipulate mathematical concepts.

2. How do you combine two functions?

To combine two functions, we first evaluate the inner function (H(x)) and then use the result as the input for the outer function (F(x)). This is represented as F(H(x)).

3. What is the difference between multiplication and combining functions?

Multiplication involves multiplying two or more numbers, while combining functions involves using the output of one function as the input for another function. In other words, combining functions is a more complex operation that involves using functions as building blocks.

4. Can any two functions be combined?

Yes, any two functions can be combined as long as the output of the inner function is a valid input for the outer function. However, the resulting function may not always be defined for all values of x.

5. What are some real-life examples of combining functions?

Combining functions is commonly used in various fields such as economics, physics, and engineering. For example, in economics, the demand function (F(x)) and supply function (H(x)) can be combined to determine the equilibrium price and quantity in a market. In physics, the force of gravity (F(x)) and the motion of an object (H(x)) can be combined to calculate the trajectory of a projectile. In engineering, the temperature (F(x)) and pressure (H(x)) can be combined to determine the state of a gas in a closed system.