1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Combining math, cs and economy - Job prospects?

1. Mar 13, 2012 #1
    Long time reader, first time poster here!

Scroll down for actual question, here's some back story:

Within the coming days/weeks I'll send in my university applications here in Sweden but I have yet to decide what subject to choose. This time last year I applied for a 3-year bachelor's program in computer science (basically equivalent to a major in CS and minor in math) and I was planning on continuing with a 2-year master's in CS after that. However, I decided to give up my spot at the uni and work for a year before my university studies.

During this time I have been questioning my choice of field many times.
    I love computer science and software development, but something was lacking, and I found that in mathematics, the pure and universal beauty and mystique of it has me in awe. I have always really liked mathematics but it was never anything I spent a lot of time with in my free time so I'm having some doubts about a math major as well.

On top of that, I have always found economy interesting and now it feels like a practical skill that could be useful in many situations.

I realize that these three fields are very useful for each other, especially math which is a big part of computer science and the kind of economy I'm interested in. The challenge I face is if/how I should combine these interests into a (hopefully) relevant, challenging and lucrative career. Well that's the goal anyway.

Right now I consider entering a mathematical program with a CS minor (basically math and theoretical cs with algorithms and such). Alternatively doing something similar to a double major in CS and math. And in either alternative somehow getting some economy and finance courses in there. After this I would get an appropriate masters degree.

But I don't know what kind of jobs this could lead to. Apart from staying in academia, would I just be competing for the engineering jobs with actual engineers? Should I reconsider and choose a different path altogether?

My question:

What academic routes do you recommend for someone who has a computer science passion, would love to have a big focus on mathematics (not only applied but more proofs etc) and possibly a touch of economical modeling.

And what jobs are available that incorporate these subjects?

I would be extremely grateful to hear the experienced PF community share their insight.

Thank you!

2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you offer guidance or do you also need help?
Draft saved Draft deleted