1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Combining nonlinear dynamics with the human body?

1. Jul 30, 2010 #1
    Hi,

I am a physics student who just finished his bachelor thesis in nonlinear dynamics. I am about to start the physics master programme at my home university (in Germany). Within a year, I will have to start writing my master thesis, so I'm trying to figure out in which domain I want to work. Also, I really like the idea of possibly writing the thesis abroad.

I like about nonlinear dynamics that it is a universal tool, applicable to all kinds of systems. Another aspect which is important to me is programming. I like that a lot and it's essential for nonlinear dynamics. But I also like maths/analytical computations. These are also essential in nonlinear dynamics. The ratio between analytical and numerical was between 50:50 and 60:40 in my bachelor thesis.

Also, I kind of sympathize with medicine and the human body in general. I have no academic knowledge of medicine (except for Dr. House ;-) ) but I kind of like the idea of interdisciplinary work and I think it would be interested to apply nonlinear dynamics to the human body. I have another motivation here: My favourite hobby is drawing the human frame and it is essential here to understand how the different parts of the body interact (mechanically). Also, I like the idea of applying physics/maths not only to dead/rigid matter but to life/something plastic. I assume the reason is that 1) at my university, condensed matter physics is most prominent and 2) I applied nonlinear dynamics to a rigid body in my bachelor thesis. Maybe that's why I would like to try something different/plastic/alive. I know there are also other interesting fields here, like anything involving plasma, or fluid dynamics.

I love the idea of learning something about areas which are new for me (medicine, biology, chemistry...) and applying principles that I am familiar with (maths, numerics, fundamental principles in physics like conservation, flows, symmetry, modeling...) to these new (at least for me) areas.

In a nutshell, combining two things I like (nonlinear dynamics = analytical+numerical AND the human body) and doing something interdisciplinary would seem interesting. But does such a thing exist or am I just daydreaming?

Do you know any scientists/groups/institutes doing something even remotely similar to what I described? Or can you give me ideas what to google for, or any kinds of books or general articles illuminating this field or similar fields?

Last edited: Jul 30, 2010
  2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you offer guidance or do you also need help?
Draft saved Draft deleted