How Can I Combine Two Audio Outputs Without Cross-Talk?

• Thread starter jaydnul
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Audio
In summary: Try using a different type of cable, or using an amp without an input.Hey sorry for late reply and thanks so far. Essentially what I want is a passive 'mixer' of sorts. I have the stereo audio signal coming from the tv headphone output, and I have the stereo audio chat signal coming from my gaming system. So I just want the two different sources of audio signal combined to listen to in one pair of stereo headphones. I don't mind a slight volume decrease. This is exactly how I have wired it:Left output #1 -> 24 ohm -> left earbud (straight to left terminal on 3.5 mm female
jaydnul
Essentially what I'm trying to do is combine two headphone level outputs to one set of headphones. The earbuds are generally 23 ohms, so got four 24 ohm resisters and wired it like so:

Left output #1 -> 24 ohm -> left earbud
Left output #2 -> 24 ohm -> left earbud
Right output #1 -> 24 ohm -> right earbud
Right output #2 -> 24 ohm -> right earbud
All commons combined

I tried it out and it essentially works but there is some spillage between the left and right channels. I'll try a left/right channel test without the circuit and it sounds perfect, but with it, there is still some sound from the left/right channel spilling over into the right/left channel.

How would I correct this?

Engineering news on Phys.org
Jd0g33 said:
Essentially what I'm trying to do is combine two headphone level outputs to one set of headphones. The earbuds are generally 23 ohms, so got four 24 ohm resisters and wired it like so:

Left output #1 -> 24 ohm -> left earbud
Left output #2 -> 24 ohm -> left earbud
Right output #1 -> 24 ohm -> right earbud
Right output #2 -> 24 ohm -> right earbud
All commons combined

I tried it out and it essentially works but there is some spillage between the left and right channels. I'll try a left/right channel test without the circuit and it sounds perfect, but with it, there is still some sound from the left/right channel spilling over into the right/left channel.

How would I correct this?

Can you just use a dual-mono to stereo adapter cable?

http://thumbs3.ebaystatic.com/d/l225/m/mEuaUl9TfAZ7mrEDUudPQxA.jpg
mEuaUl9TfAZ7mrEDUudPQxA.jpg

I think the OP wants to go the other way. Combine 2 source signals to one headphone. He has taken a passive approach in using resistors. Not sure based on the way it is worded as to whether the resistors are set as load or in series with the source to drive to the phones. Ultimate solution would be quiet OP-AMP in summing configuration with the 24 ohm as load for each output channel in input side. Or headphone amp, with the input channels set with summing resistor network.

As for the crossover bleed, you might use a DMM and verify that the headphone ground is chassis ground on both outputs. Make certain that your two outputs are only tied at the headphone ground and not at the chassis.

mjhilger said:
I think the OP wants to go the other way. Combine 2 source signals to one headphone. He has taken a passive approach in using resistors.

Ah, well if so, there are certainly different sex versions of that Y-connector/adapter... :smile:

There are certainly adapters that would allow two male stereo inputs to one female output. However I don't consider it good practice to tie two power outputs together without some isolation circuit. The OP used resistors, and says it it has some crossover issues. A small headphone summing amp or mixer would be best. But might cost a little and require power even if from batteries.

mjhilger said:
There are certainly adapters that would allow two male stereo inputs to one female output. However I don't consider it good practice to tie two power outputs together without some isolation circuit. The OP used resistors, and says it it has some crossover issues. A small headphone summing amp or mixer would be best. But might cost a little and require power even if from batteries.

More good points -- I guess we need to hear from the OP about what these two mono headphone sources are.

@Jd0g33 -- can you give us more info about what you are trying to do and why?

Hey sorry for late reply and thanks so far. Essentially what I want is a passive 'mixer' of sorts. I have the stereo audio signal coming from the tv headphone output, and I have the stereo audio chat signal coming from my gaming system. So I just want the two different sources of audio signal combined to listen to in one pair of stereo headphones. I don't mind a slight volume decrease.

This is exactly how I have wired it:

Left output #1 -> 24 ohm -> left earbud (straight to left terminal on 3.5 mm female)
Left output #2 -> 24 ohm -> left earbud (straight to left terminal on 3.5 mm female)
Right output #1 -> 24 ohm -> right earbud (straight to right terminal on 3.5 mm female)
Right output #2 -> 24 ohm -> right earbud (straight to right terminal on 3.5 mm female)
Common #1 -> Common #2 -> earbud common (ground terminal on 3.5 mm female)

This works except for the previously stated bleeding of signal into the opposite earbud. What would cause such bleeding?

If it absolutely positively has to be passive I would try increasing the resistance values. Sounds like your headphone amps are having difficult driving the resistors you put in but this depends entirely on how your headphone amp works.

You might get bleeding (crosstalk) from two sources with this approach.

1. Common ground has some resistance
2. The output amp has output resistance (all amps have some, some have a lot) so the 2 24 ohm resistors in series between the amps produces crosstalk. This might be especially evident at low frequencies since most headphone amps have a series capacitor.

There is not much you can do about #2.

You could try an audio diode in series with each channel (joke).

This is not a trivial problem - which is why it's usually done Actively! (Sorry if the potential cost is upsetting you.)
It could also be the power supply / decoupling in one or both of the power amplifiers. Are you confident that the crosstalk is low for the stereo output from each device independently? It is possible that the power supply for one of the amplifiers is not good and there is some (cross) feedback included in the actual R and L amplifiers, to reduce crosstalk. That would mean that an external signal, applied to one to the outputs, would appear on the other output - and, hence into the other ear.. If you use different standoff resistors, does your strange effect vary? Could you solve the problem (to your satisfaction) by just doubling the resistor values?

Another (passive) way to tackle the problem could be to use a transformer Hybrid. This is a four port device and provides you with two inputs that are isolated from each other and the input signals appear at the other ports - one of which gives you A+B and the other gives you A-B. (Very much 'telephone' quality audio)See this link. I was searching for a source on Google but, apart from something on eBay, I could only find adverts for those pesky Transformer Toys. But that link does describe what they're all about. Good versions of those transformers are expensive to buy ('wound components' all tend to be) and You would not be able to wind one without the right winding machine, I think.

If you really want a good solution, then you should consider a small, battery operated mixer box. Is there nothing available in the Electric Guitar trade, amongst all the fuzz boxes and things?

Farnell has hybrids

1. How can I combine two audio outputs into one?

There are several ways to combine two audio outputs. One option is to use an audio mixer, which can merge multiple audio sources into a single output. Another option is to use a Y-splitter cable, which allows you to connect two audio outputs to one input. Some audio interfaces also have the capability to merge multiple outputs into one. Additionally, there are software programs that can combine audio outputs from your computer.

2. Will combining audio outputs affect sound quality?

This depends on the method you use to combine the outputs. If you use a high-quality audio mixer or interface, the sound quality should not be significantly affected. However, using a cheap Y-splitter cable or software program may result in a loss of sound quality.

3. Can I combine two different types of audio outputs?

Yes, it is possible to combine different types of audio outputs. For example, you can merge a headphone output with a speaker output using an audio mixer or interface. However, keep in mind that the output levels and impedance of the two sources may need to be matched in order to avoid sound distortion.

4. What are the benefits of combining audio outputs?

Combining audio outputs can be useful for various reasons. It allows you to blend different audio sources together, such as music and a microphone input, for a more dynamic sound. It can also save you from having to constantly switch between different audio outputs, making your setup more efficient.

5. How can I troubleshoot issues with combined audio outputs?

If you are experiencing problems with your combined audio outputs, first check all of your connections to ensure they are secure. You may also need to adjust the input and output levels of each source to achieve a balanced sound. If the issue persists, try using a different method for combining the outputs or consult the user manual for your equipment.