Combining Equations: A Guide for Solving Complex Problems

• Thread starter aboojoo
  • Start date
In summary, combining two equations involves eliminating a variable, which can be done through substitution or other methods such as manipulation and clever cancellation. The goal is to simplify the equations and solve for the remaining variables.
aboojoo
Unsure of how to start the algebraic process of combining these two equations:

v2=v1+aΔt and Δd=v1Δt+1/2aΔt2 ,

The attached is a screenshot of the course material that I need help with. It demonstrates how to combine the two equations but it seems to skip some steps that I can't quite catch. I gathered to do so I should substitute one equation into the other, but do not know where to start. Some guidance would be greatly appreciated. Thank you

Attachments

• combine.png
    combine.png
    18.4 KB · Views: 740
Physics news on Phys.org
I think it helps to know first the goal for combining two, and that is to eliminate a variable. You could eliminate any of the variables in either equation, but in the picture you posted they eliminate Δt, so that's where you would start to combine them. One way would be to solve for Δt in one equation and then substitute into the other. That's essentially what they did, except by manipulating the left side to then substitute in something else.

Could you show me the exact algebraic steps involved?
Not sure where the 2a(v1Δt) comes from.

Last edited:
Well, if you solve for [itex]\Delta t[/itex] in the first equation, you get: $$\Delta t = \frac{v_{2} - v_{1}}{a}$$
Substituting into the second equation yields: $$\Delta d = v_{1} \cdot \frac{v_{2} - v_{1}}{a} + \frac{1}{2}a \cdot (\frac{v_{2} - v_{1}}{a})^{2}$$

See if you can simplify from there.

Likes 1 person
I think I understand now, but am still puzzled by how the original text managed to get to the answer by simply squaring both sides of v2=v1+aΔt. It is a method I'm unfamiliar with since I do not know those steps.

I attached a picture for the rest of the steps that were to be done after yours. Thanks a lot for your help!*Edit, Spelling

Attachments

• 1.png
    1.png
    3.8 KB · Views: 469
Last edited:
No problem -- glad you were able to work it all out. Don't be discouraged about how the text got the answer. Combining equations is somewhat of an art form. The simplest way is usually to do a substitution like I showed you, but there are other ways like those the text used that involve cleverly cancelling certain things out to get the answer in fewer steps. For anyone to see immediately how to combine two equations as they did would be quite astounding.

What is the purpose of combining two equations?

Combining two equations allows us to simplify complex mathematical problems and find solutions more efficiently. It also helps us to understand the relationship between different variables and how they affect each other.

What are the steps involved in combining two equations?

The first step is to identify the common variables between the two equations. Then, we can use algebraic techniques such as substitution or elimination to eliminate one of the variables. Finally, we can solve for the remaining variable to find the solution.

Can any two equations be combined?

No, not all equations can be combined. The equations must have at least one common variable and the same form (linear, quadratic, etc.) for us to be able to combine them.

What are some common mistakes to avoid when combining equations?

One common mistake is to forget to distribute or simplify terms before combining equations. It's also important to keep track of the signs of the terms and make sure they are correctly aligned when combining equations.

How can combining two equations be useful in real-world applications?

In real-world applications, combining equations can help us to model and solve complex problems in fields such as physics, engineering, and economics. It can also aid in making predictions and analyzing data.