Combining DC Generators for Increased Voltage Output

In summary, the question is about combining two small 6V DC generators to produce an output of 12V due to limited space. The solution is to hook them up in series, which will result in double the output voltage while maintaining the same current rating. This can be compared to putting two batteries in series to increase the overall voltage.
Moncada
Hi guys,

I'm working on a school project and I don't know a lot about electricity, so here is my question. Let's say that I have two small 6V DC generators, and I need an output of 12V (I can not use a 12V DC generator because space is limited, the two 6V fit perfectly) is there a way to combine my two sources, can anyone tell me how or point me into the right direction?

Physics news on Phys.org
Moncada said:
Hi guys,

I'm working on a school project and I don't know a lot about electricity, so here is my question. Let's say that I have two small 6V DC generators, and I need an output of 12V (I can not use a 12V DC generator because space is limited, the two 6V fit perfectly) is there a way to combine my two sources, can anyone tell me how or point me into the right direction?

Welcome to the PF.

If they are DC generators, just hook them up in series. You will get twice the output voltage at the same current rating as a single generator. :smile:

That's right, think of them like batteries.
If you put two 1.5v batteries in series, you got a 3v battery!

1. How do you combine two power sources?

Combining two power sources involves using a device called a power combiner or power splitter, which allows the power from both sources to be combined and used together.

2. What are the benefits of combining two power sources?

Combining two power sources can provide increased power output, improved reliability, and redundancy in case one source fails. It can also allow for more efficient use of resources and cost savings.

3. Can any two power sources be combined?

In theory, any two power sources can be combined. However, it is important to consider compatibility and whether the power sources are able to work together safely and effectively.

4. What are some common applications of combining two power sources?

Combining two power sources is commonly used in renewable energy systems, such as combining solar and wind power. It is also used in backup power systems for critical facilities, such as hospitals or data centers.

5. What are some potential challenges when combining two power sources?

Some challenges that may arise when combining two power sources include compatibility issues, balancing power output, and ensuring proper safety measures are in place. It is also important to monitor and maintain the power sources to ensure they are working together effectively.