1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Combustable Dust Monitor

1. Jun 4, 2013 #1
    I have been tasked with what seems an almost impossible feat. It sounds simple but for some reason it is not.

I am looking for a device that can monitor combustible dust, in this case wood dust from pellets. It must be able to handle concentrations of 50g/m^3. The area to be monitored is a coal bunker, roughly 80’ tall and 20’x50’.

And most important it must be intrinsically safe! This has been my biggest problem. I have found a handful of suitable monitors yet they are not intrinsically safe. Who designs a combustible dust monitor that could end up being the source of an explosion?!

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 4, 2013 #2
    These guys might have something that would suit your needs:

Omega

4. Jun 4, 2013 #3
    Unfortunatly they dont deal with dust monitors.

5. Jun 4, 2013 #4

etudiant

Gold Member

Would the old Davis lamp perhaps work for you?
    It was admittedly used for combustible gas, rather than dust, but I would think that fine dust would be pretty equally diffused in a factory setting and would pass pretty reliably through the screen mesh of a Davis lamp.

6. Jun 4, 2013 #5

berkeman

Staff: Mentor

If the coal dust is the only particulate matter in the air in that enclosure, maybe think about using a scanning laser beam and optical monitoring to figure out the density of dust in the air... Very intrinsically safe.

7. Jun 6, 2013 #6
    Yes it would work, But I cant find a product that exists.

8. Jun 9, 2013 #7

etudiant

Gold Member

Something like this? http://www.ducon.com/MIP%203188AZL.php [Broken]

Last edited by a moderator: May 6, 2017
  9. Jun 9, 2013 #8

Bobbywhy

Gold Member

That monitor was looking ideal for the application, until I noticed in the specifications: "Maximum dust = 2g per cubic liter. The OP is asking to monitor up to 50g per cubic liter.

10. Jun 10, 2013 #9

Borek

Staff: Mentor

No, per cubic meter! That's 0.05 g/L.

11. Jun 10, 2013 #10

Bobbywhy

Gold Member

OOPS! Sorry. Thanks for catching my mistake.

12. Jun 10, 2013 #11
    Very Intresting. I will contact the manufacturer! Thanks!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook