Combustion Catalysts: What are they?

• Thread starter kateman
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Combustion
In summary, Iron oxide is not a typical combustion catalyst, but it can be used to stabilize fuel before ignition. Palladium and platinum have been used as combustion catalysts, especially finely divided ones and those supported on surfaces (alumina, for example).
kateman
Something made me think today, are there any catalysts for combustion?

I know it depends on the fule (such as hydrocarbons) but I wanted to leave this open to any kind of fule - I was just interested if there are catalysts for combustion and if so, what fule and what are the catalysts?

Chemistry news on Phys.org
Fule? Do you mean fuel?

yes i do, my bad

kateman said:
Something made me think today, are there any catalysts for combustion?

I know it depends on the fule (such as hydrocarbons) but I wanted to leave this open to any kind of fule - I was just interested if there are catalysts for combustion and if so, what fule and what are the catalysts?

Combustion happens quickly and once the initial energy is provided the energy generated from the reaction propagates subsequent ones , why would you envision that a catalyst would be needed? I admit that I do not have much awareness in this area.

iron oxide is one

Proton Soup said:
iron oxide is one

unless your thinking of thermite with the reaction of iron oxide and aluminium (which isn't a catalyst in that situation), what reaction does it catalyse?

kateman said:
unless your thinking of thermite with the reaction of iron oxide and aluminium (which isn't a catalyst in that situation), what reaction does it catalyse?

no, not thermite. I'm not a chemist, and i don't know the particulars, only that it is used as a catalyst in a solid rocket propellant. I'm sure you can find more info if you google, i probably shouldn't list the ingredients. one patent even pops up right away.

Proton Soup said:
no, not thermite. I'm not a chemist, and i don't know the particulars, only that it is used as a catalyst in a solid rocket propellant. I'm sure you can find more info if you google, i probably shouldn't list the ingredients. one patent even pops up right away.

Unless I am missing something, iron oxide in this patent is not a catalyst, it rather stabilizes fuel before ignition.

Proton Soup said:

propellant catalysts , i'd have to be careful as they seem to be used mainly to convert fuels (thanks for pulling me up on that Borek, i did initially write the wrong thing) from solid to gaseous state and i want combustion to be aided but this is an awesome idea of an area to explore! Thank you very much!

but still, iam open to anyother ideas/ suggestions:tongue:

Borek said:
Unless I am missing something, iron oxide in this patent is not a catalyst, it rather stabilizes fuel before ignition.

that was what was kind of bugging me at the back of my mind, a combustion catalyst would make everything more unstable with lower activation energy - which may not always work out for propulsion

thanks Borek

Palladium and platinum have been used as combustion catalysts, especially finely divided ones and those supported on surfaces (alumina, for example). Basically, you could look at any catalyst that works for hydrogenation, isomerization and dehydrogenation and determine if it could survive intact after exposure to direct flame and oxidizing conditions. I would think that limits the field to the noble metals like platinum.

(bangs head on the wall) Obvious! There are those catalytic hand heaters in which gasoline is burnt without flame.

kateman said:
propellant catalysts , i'd have to be careful as they seem to be used mainly to convert fuels (thanks for pulling me up on that Borek, i did initially write the wrong thing) from solid to gaseous state and i want combustion to be aided but this is an awesome idea of an area to explore! Thank you very much!

but still, iam open to anyother ideas/ suggestions:tongue:

yeah, it's not a typical application. i used to have a list of the the ingredients used in the SRBs on the shuttle, and I'm pretty sure iron oxide was listed as a catalyst, but i can't find it atm.

chemisttree said:
Palladium and platinum have been used as combustion catalysts, especially finely divided ones and those supported on surfaces (alumina, for example). Basically, you could look at any catalyst that works for hydrogenation, isomerization and dehydrogenation and determine if it could survive intact after exposure to direct flame and oxidizing conditions. I would think that limits the field to the noble metals like platinum.

awesome, thank you chemisttree, that's exactly what iam after! And thank you too, Borek, i had no idea such things existed but i'll look into them.

Also, Proton Soup, thanks for your help and if you ever do find that list, I would be most interested if you could please send it to me in a private message :smile:

1. What are combustion catalysts?

Combustion catalysts are substances that are added to fuel or fuel-air mixtures to increase the efficiency of the combustion process. They work by lowering the activation energy needed for the fuel to react with oxygen, resulting in a more complete and cleaner burn.

2. How do combustion catalysts work?

Combustion catalysts work by lowering the activation energy needed for a chemical reaction to occur. In the case of fuel combustion, this means that the catalyst helps break down the fuel molecules into smaller, more reactive fragments, allowing them to react more easily with oxygen. This results in a more efficient and cleaner burn.

3. What are some common types of combustion catalysts?

Some common types of combustion catalysts include metal oxides, such as iron oxide and cerium oxide, as well as transition metal complexes, such as platinum and palladium. Other types of catalysts include zeolites, which are porous materials that can adsorb and react with fuel molecules, and enzymes, which are biological catalysts.

4. What are the benefits of using combustion catalysts?

The use of combustion catalysts can result in several benefits, including improved fuel efficiency, reduced emissions of pollutants such as carbon monoxide and nitrogen oxides, and a longer lifespan for engines and equipment. Additionally, combustion catalysts can help reduce the need for maintenance and repairs, resulting in cost savings.

5. Are there any potential drawbacks to using combustion catalysts?

While combustion catalysts can offer many benefits, there are also potential drawbacks to consider. These can include increased costs for purchasing and applying the catalysts, as well as potential compatibility issues with certain types of fuels or engines. It is important to carefully evaluate the specific needs and requirements of a system before choosing to use a combustion catalyst.