Creating a Combustion Model for 2-Stroke Engines

In summary: Your Name] In summary, Ghali is working on a combustion model for a 2 stroke engine for a scholarly project. They have successfully described the majority of mechanisms found in books and experimental data, but are struggling with expressing ignition advance as a function of two principal combustion parameters. Suggestions for overcoming this roadblock include using empirical data, exploring other combustion models, and collaborating with other researchers.
Ghali
Hi every body !

I am really gladed to be here to ask my very first question. I am working on a scolar project. My objective is creating a combustion model for a 2 stroke engine. The model that i have proposed is a 0D one, I have succed to describe the majority of mecanisms that i have found in books or by analysing experimental datas. Now I have one probleme which is that I can't express the Ignition advance as a fonction of my two principal parameters of combustion which are half burning time and burning time. I have tried to use Wiebe combustion to optimise my specific consumption, but the road is always blocked.

Do you have an idea how It can works. Thank you in advance for your ideaaas !

Ghali

Physics news on Phys.org

Hi Ghali,

Welcome to the forum and congratulations on your first project! Creating a combustion model for a 2 stroke engine is a challenging task, but it sounds like you have made good progress so far. As for your question about expressing ignition advance as a function of half burning time and burning time, there are a few potential approaches you could take. Here are some suggestions:

1. Consider using empirical data: Instead of trying to come up with a theoretical equation for ignition advance, you could use empirical data from previous experiments or simulations to determine the relationship between ignition advance and half burning time/burning time. This would require some data analysis and curve fitting, but it could provide a more accurate estimation of the ignition advance for your model.

2. Investigate other combustion models: While the Wiebe combustion model may be a popular choice, there are other models that could potentially work better for your specific engine and parameters. Some examples include the Arrhenius model, the Zeldovich model, and the Eddy Break-Up model. It may be worth exploring these and seeing if they can better capture the relationship between ignition advance and your combustion parameters.

3. Collaborate with other researchers: If you are still struggling to find a solution, consider reaching out to other researchers in the field or collaborating with other students or professors at your institution. They may have some insights or ideas that could help you overcome this roadblock.

I hope these suggestions are helpful and good luck with your project! Don't hesitate to reach out if you have any further questions or need additional assistance.

1. What is a combustion model for 2-stroke engines?

A combustion model for 2-stroke engines is a mathematical representation of the process of fuel burning in the engine's combustion chamber. It takes into account factors such as fuel-air mixture, ignition timing, and heat transfer to predict the performance and emissions of the engine.

2. How is a combustion model for 2-stroke engines created?

A combustion model for 2-stroke engines is created by combining fundamental principles of thermodynamics, fluid dynamics, and chemical kinetics. This involves gathering experimental data, developing equations and algorithms, and validating the model through simulations and real-world testing.

3. What are the benefits of having a combustion model for 2-stroke engines?

A combustion model for 2-stroke engines can provide valuable insight into the engine's performance and emissions, allowing for optimization of design and operation. It can also aid in the development of new engine technologies and assist in troubleshooting and diagnosing issues.

4. Are there different types of combustion models for 2-stroke engines?

Yes, there are various types of combustion models for 2-stroke engines, including zero-dimensional models, one-dimensional models, and three-dimensional models. Each type has its own level of complexity and accuracy, and the choice of model depends on the specific needs and goals of the engine study.

5. How accurate are combustion models for 2-stroke engines?

The accuracy of a combustion model for 2-stroke engines depends on the quality of the data used to develop it and the complexity of the model itself. Generally, the more inputs and parameters that are taken into account, the more accurate the model will be. However, it is important to regularly validate and update the model with new data to ensure its accuracy over time.